Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 7-pin socket works fine, but we might have it rewired/replaced with a 13-pin, to allow for the charging/fridge/Al-Ko stabiliser functions
The problem is, it seems that not many companies want to just wire; 2 of the 3 I've emailed have said "No"
Still waiting for the 3rd

Unless I get a kit from Towsure, or someone & have a go myself
I've done a few in the past, but all were 'old-fashioned' type electrics (no fancy 'bypass' relays required)

On that basis, I think we're going to self-wire a 13-pin socket

The battery, for a permanent live, is under the front passenger seat, so that negates having to run a cable from the engine bay
I'm going to use a sensing relay, so no need for an ignition controlled live

The road-lights are operated via a 'bypass' relay, so all I'll have to do is swap-out the present 7-core cables, for the corresponding 13-cores

At the moment, there's one fly in the ointment, I have to find out where the present 7-core enters the body
Curiously, it appears to lead off, under the 'bumper' to the near-side, whereas the 'bypass relay' is on the off-side, with the cable approaching it from below:wacko:
There's TORX screws holding the major section of the 'bumper' on (from underneath), so they've been soaked in WD40, & I'll try them tomorrow afternoon, when I get home from work

However............
Given that there's a few days booked for http://www.ruddingholidaypark.co.uk/ in early May, & that 'up to press', I'm delivering it/pitching up/sorting out water & electric
SWMBO has suggested/stated that she'd go up in the Touareg, then tow it back home :whistle:
(with me, meeting them at the compound)
This is despite having never towed before - at all
(& usually on phone/laptop, in the back when I'm towing it)
I may have to take it out of storage, & give her a bit of instruction

If all I manage to do is temporarily replace the present 7-pin socket, with a 13-pin, that'll have to do for now
As stated previously, it works, but the pins are quite manky/corroded
I have the relevant adaptor, but it'd be a far better lighting connection with a new socket

Wednesday 27th

Changed my lighting-board, & the Touareg, to 13-pin plug & socket (respectively)

The only real issue, that the Touaregs present electrical socket mounting-bracket is sized to a 7-pin set-up
Thus, the gasket is squeezed in, & allows a gap at the rear

(it’s only wired, at the moment, to the existing 7-core cable)

963D3B35-4E40-43BA-AC37-8CC25F5E8426.jpeg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
On that basis, I think we're going to self-wire a 13-pin socket

The battery, for a permanent live, is under the front passenger seat, so that negates having to run a cable from the engine bay
I'm going to use a sensing relay, so no need for an ignition controlled live

The road-lights are operated via a 'bypass' relay, so all I'll have to do is swap-out the present 7-core cables, for the corresponding 13-cores

At the moment, there's one fly in the ointment, I have to find out where the present 7-core enters the body
Curiously, it appears to lead off, under the 'bumper' to the near-side, whereas the 'bypass relay' is on the off-side, with the cable approaching it from below:wacko:
There's TORX screws holding the major section of the 'bumper' on (from underneath), so they've been soaked in WD40, & I'll try them tomorrow afternoon, when I get home from work

However............
Given that there's a few days booked for http://www.ruddingholidaypark.co.uk/ in early May, & that 'up to press', I'm delivering it/pitching up/sorting out water & electric
SWMBO has suggested/stated that she'd go up in the Touareg, then tow it back home :whistle:
(with me, meeting them at the compound)
This is despite having never towed before - at all
(& usually on phone/laptop, in the back when I'm towing it)
I may have to take it out of storage, & give her a bit of instruction

If all I manage to do is temporarily replace the present 7-pin socket, with a 13-pin, that'll have to do for now
As stated previously, it works, but the pins are quite manky/corroded
I have the relevant adaptor, but it'd be a far better lighting connection with a new socket

My Mrs usually does all the towing. Even reversing she is not bad. Sometimes she will ask me to step in but other than that ! Better than me !

Wednesday 27th

Changed my lighting-board, & the Touareg, to 13-pin plug & socket (respectively)

The only real issue, that the Touaregs present electrical socket mounting-bracket is sized to a 7-pin set-up
Thus, the gasket is squeezed in, & allows a gap at the rear

(it’s only wired, at the moment, to the existing 7-core cable)

View attachment 642076

Just ordered a split-charge relay (voltage sensing), a couple of yards of 13-core cable, the correct (socket) mounting plate, & some 'velcro tape' (to mount the alternative number-plates)

We use velcro

Works a treat
Some arrived today, as a roll of tape
Just ordered a split-charge relay (voltage sensing), a couple of yards of 13-core cable, the correct (socket) mounting plate, & some 'velcro tape' (to mount the alternative number-plates

The 13-pin mounting bracket also arrived today, so it was fitted, & the (now unrequired) 7-pin socket section of the bumper-guard/hitch-guide was cut off
I also tried to wire in another 'indicator beeper', as the one that's part of the 'bypass relay' is very quiet where it is, hidden behind a trim panel
I might drill a few holes in the trim (it's behind a removable cover) to try to allow it to be heard

Friday 29th

The Touareg made its inaugural tow earlier today
(having removed the Kodiaq number-plate, & fitting - via velcro - the new one)
Not far, but enough to know it should cope well
If anyone knows the Castleford area, we passed through the town, out over the River Aire
Along Barnsdale Road, & up Mary Pannall, where it accelerated from 38MPH, to 52MPH up the hill, in good order (speed limits go from 40, to 50 there)
Turning right at Peckfield Bar*, circumnavigating the roundabout at the old 'Boot & Shoe' junction**, then back to Peckfield Bar, & retracing our route through Castleford

It seems very weird to me, towing with an automatic

MM55 XUY. Towing. 6.jpg

* Where the A63 Leeds - Selby road intersects the Barnsdale Road (Castleford - HookMoor/Aberford)
** Where the A63 joined the A1, for a short distance, before continuing east at Selby Fork

I hadn’t even considered Bernoullis Principle, with regard to towing

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/understanding-the-dynamics-of-towing-being-overtaken/

My Mrs usually does all the towing. Even reversing she is not bad. Sometimes she will ask me to step in but other than that ! Better than me !
'Up To Press', I'm delivering it, on Friday, along with F-in-L, & we're setting it up
He's staying now
Then, again 'Up To Press', they're de-rigging & bringing it home

Senior Management has stated that she'll bring it home, as apparantly "What Can Be So Difficult About It?"
She's never towed anything before, not even one of the little 5' x 4' camping trailers

All I have to do, is drive down & meet them at the storage compound

Friday 13th

Dragged & Delivered
Rudding Park Holiday Park
Follifoot
Harrogate

Heading up, via;
A1 > Wetherby (through the town centre/Market Place) > past Stockeld Park > Spofforth (past the Castle) > Haggs Road (to Harrogate Bypass)

FA453E22-B67E-4F8F-9C4A-B3AD9947F958.jpeg

CE815AA0-A786-4CE3-883A-28F0F94AB4C2.jpeg

Looking north-west
F8459228-2079-41E0-8D68-7253026CD1B2.jpeg

Leaving to come back home, via Follifoot & Wetherby (9 items)
0480D191-4ABA-4CB8-8886-B34E7D67A9B3.jpeg

I wonder if it really is a 'dark skies' location?
https://www.ruddingholidaypark.co.u...Gu2aNfXp4_bi5lGnssx18G4Sv5ldLtjLJXe7doq2x4MPc

One last thing!
Despite my mentioning over the past week or so, that she was intending this to be a complete & utter novice tow, as she set off in the Touareg (it's hopefully cured?), she asked if I was driving up to collect them on Wednesday:whistle::laugh:

Last edited:
'Up To Press', I'm delivering it, on Friday, along with F-in-L, & we're setting it up
He's staying now
Then, again 'Up To Press', they're de-rigging & bringing it home

Senior Management has stated that she'll bring it home, as apparantly "What Can Be So Difficult About It?"
She's never towed anything before, not even one of the little 5' x 4' camping trailers

All I have to do, is drive down & meet them at the storage compound
As of 15:00, she's insistent on towing it home

Albeit. not a reverse of the way I took, or sent her, to get to the site;
A1 > off at jct45 > into Wetherby (through the market-place) > Spofforth (past the Castle) > left, following signs for Pannal > right at the bypass > left towards the Park gates
She's intending traveling east along the Harrogate/Knaresborough bypass, joining the A59, then onto the A1

Dare I say, in a way, I hope she changes her mind, & lets me go up
I'd far prefer to let her tow it locally on a 'mixed' circuit, for maybe 20miles, to get the feel of it/the altered vehicle dynamics with the extra weight/etc...

I ended up heading up there

The Touareg had a (presumed) slow puncture, and may have been run around at a reduced pressure for a couple of days

I suggested heading up & towing it back, till we had the tyre checked, due to the added stresses of towing
(it’s only about 45 minutes to get there ‘solo’, in light traffic)

D31A231C-A608-4287-83B8-9D1DF9E89006.jpeg

They only got home roughly 20 minutes before l did, despite dropping the BWSOW into the compound

Packing up, prior to hitching up

6B3BEB2A-ABEF-4A64-8028-C2BEE66ABE69.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom