Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a Caddy (5 x 4) trailer for a while, from Towsure, of which the less said the better........ it flexed liked a biscuit tin!!
On the plus side, it was light & could be stored on it's tail
On the downside, it bounced like crazy when empty & was almost impossible to reverse (& invisible, when hitched to the Discovery)

Last edited:
I got fed up of that, so in September 2004, received permission to purchase a good trailer, from the local agent

An Ifor WIlliams P6:becool:
It was on floatation tyres, which made it harder to manually manoeuvre, & a ramp
I got a bit fed up with the restricted view & 'drag', of the treadplate raml, so was going to cut it down, & use 'expanded mesh'

However, before that, it fell into dis-use, & some one made me a reasonable offer for it, so it was sold

Last edited:
I 'spoke' about tow-hitches, further up the page & the good ones, so here's a few more thoughts/offerings

Number-plates

I, probably like you, still see bits of cardboard written on, if it's a borrowed trailer (if they bother?)

Initially on the Caddy, I had 2 bolts, with wing-nuts that screwed the plate to the plinth (as f-in-law sometimes used it)

When I bought the Ifor-Williams, I asked what they did with the hire-fleet
Some just had blank plates, that received stick-on lettering, others had these spring clips
I bought a pair
(once drilled, through the galvanising, everything was lavishly copper-greased)

On my lighting board (that still hangs, dust-covered) in the garage, I went very simple for multiple users
Two very long cable-ties, & the plate is held in place, as they slide along onto it

figbat

Slippery scientist
I looked at ‘camping’ trailers for ages and amongst the usual Erde stuff this popped up. I’m not even sure of the make but it’s rated for 450kg and I also have some steel mesh side panels for it to convert it to a garden waste trailer. I think my favourite thing about it is the wheels - a decent size and white-painted steel (including matching spare). It has a really long drawbar too, making for easy reversing and no crowding of the car when hitched.

1616666701123.jpeg

DRHysted

Guru
Can’t seem to find a picture of our unit in travel mode, this is without the awning. Comes in at a ton, but all the weight is low down so she tows beautifully. Apart from the reduced fuel economy, and needing 4th gear more often in the Scottish Highlands, you can forget she’s behind you. The Mondeo is long gone, I use a Vauxhall Insignia estate nowadays, it’s not too shabby.

Attachments

• FD782616-EF13-4CD0-8F0F-C02BCB0BA831.jpeg
    FD782616-EF13-4CD0-8F0F-C02BCB0BA831.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 15
I looked at ‘camping’ trailers for ages and amongst the usual Erde stuff this popped up. I’m not even sure of the make but it’s rated for 450kg and I also have some steel mesh side panels for it to convert it to a garden waste trailer. I think my favourite thing about it is the wheels - a decent size and white-painted steel (including matching spare). It has a really long drawbar too, making for easy reversing and no crowding of the car when hitched.

View attachment 580394

Some of the Dutch trailers are very good for their size
Far higher quality than the Halfords/Motosave specials

Senior Management had been talking about getting another 'BWSOW', which was what prompted the search for a new car
We'd also looked at;
VW T6 (no interest from salesmen, they came out, ignored us, looked at us through glass, but no asking us to come in)
Mercedes-Benz Vito
Ford Tourneo Connect

- all as 5-seaters-

We were actually looking at a Tourneo, & saw this, whilst we were there
That was on Friday evening (28th), & we collected it on Monday 31st!

Now, we need a towbar, as (also) on Monday, we put a deposit down on a (2012, & apparantley very well looked after) Coachman:wacko::wacko:
(from 'WandaHome' near FerryBridge)

I've got a price for one 'bar, with dedicated wiring 13-pin, & waiting for another one as a price comparison

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I spotted this one, whilst out a few days ago

Often pass that on Lingwell Nook Lane, its just been spruced up, the solar panels are new.
What a quirky little thing, I wonder what its like inside.

Often pass that on Lingwell Nook Lane, its just been spruced up, the solar panels are new.
What a quirky little thing, I wonder what its like inside.
I thought TAB at first, but I don't believe it is

I have friends at the other end of that lane, in fact I used to know almost every family in the older (more than 40year old houses on there)
I also remember when it was impassable, after what is now Ridings Lane, & practically a quagmire

Now, we need a towbar, as (also) on Monday, we put a deposit down on a (2012, & apparantly very well looked after) Coachman:wacko::wacko:

I've got a price for one 'bar, with dedicated wiring 13-pin, & waiting for another one as a price comparison
Placed order for it, when I got home this afternoon

Point Of Curiosity.............
Upon asking about the (legally required.... or used to be...) 'Audible, or Visual Warning Device' that will be fitted
It seems that with a dedicated kit, the 'tell-tale' on the dash only illuminates if there's a problem:wacko:
Previous vehicles, I've used to tow with, have always had the buzzer (or dash-icon) sounding (flashing) in conjunction with the vehicles 'warning lights'

Ie; my old Discovery Tdi, had an icon that flashed after the indicator relay was changed, for the heavier-duty one

DRHysted

Guru
Placed order for it, when I got home this afternoon

Point Of Curiosity.............
Upon asking about the (legally required.... or used to be...) 'Audible, or Visual Warning Device' that will be fitted
It seems that with a dedicated kit, the 'tell-tale' on the dash only illuminates if there's a problem:wacko:
Previous vehicles, I've used to tow with, have always had the buzzer (or dash-icon) sounding (flashing) in conjunction with the vehicles 'warning lights'

Ie; my old Discovery Tdi, had an icon that flashed after the indicator relay was changed, for the heavier-duty one

View attachment 592036

I can’t remember what my car does, I do remember that instead of 3 indicator flashes you get 6 when you tap the stalk.

Broadside

Guru
We had this Dutch trailer by Anssems that we used for camping gear it was fantastic. It took so much kit and very comfortably carried 5 bikes on top. 13 inch wheels made it very stable on the road and we towed with it a few times on very long trips. We only sold the trailer because we moved on to a VW Transporter.

Attachments

• 2FE171D2-C6C8-41E0-BB76-131AE62BF5FF.jpeg
    2FE171D2-C6C8-41E0-BB76-131AE62BF5FF.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
Just sold a P6 last year, it was too heavy to hand manoeuvre and i didn't need it capabilities anymore as we haven't had sheep for over 15yrs, we bought the trailer 20yrs ago and i sold it last year for more than i bought it for...

We do use a small curtain side trailer with the van, it works well to carry 5 bikes, 1 canoe, 3 SUPs and loads of other gear:

Bikes go in at the end and then all the gear behind them,

It also becomes a handy dog kennel when we're out and about...

Now, we need a towbar, as (also) on Monday, we put a deposit down on a (2012, & apparantley very well looked after) Coachman:wacko::wacko:

Organised a towbar:okay:
They're coming to the house to fit it, on Thursday 24th

Then, it's a local inaugural tow/camp, on Friday evening - Sunday afternoon:whistle:

Time to see what we've forgot to buy, & how much I've forgotten about towing,:rolleyes:

Top Bottom