Trailers for expeditions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
go look at Edinburgh Bike Co-ops one. it now has a waterproof bag.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

I didn't really understand the 2nd reviewer's comments:

"Extra pivots and bushings mean marginally less rigidity and more wear and tear. This said, having used it for the last few months, including touring, off-road riding and for the weekly shop, most of these points really won't be an issue for the general, non-expedition user." and "Though it looks like the popular BOB Yak this trailer costs a lot less and folds flat for shipping. It's not quite as suited to expedition use, but for shopping or touring it's a bargain."

I will be an expedition user, should I worry?

RedBike

I used to have a bob and now i've brought a very cheap 'copy' like the Edinburgh trailer.

When I first got the cheap trailer assembled I was amazed at just how similar it was to the bob. When I went on a ride with it UNLAIDEN it even seemed to pull like the bob did.

However, when I filled it full of camping gear, putting some heavy sleeping bags up high ontop of the bag it suddenly became a nightmare to ride with.
IMAGE_458.jpg

It suddenly wasn't stable at speed and on occations it felt like the trailer was ramming the back of the bike. I never had any of these issues with the bob. Then again I never loaded it up so much.

I have Toured for a few years and have purchased a MULE i have found it stable with weight and at speed, yea down hill it pushes but so will any trailer with weight behind it you just have to adjust your braking point sooner the same as a hgv or car trailer combo, my MULE is stable when empty it was cheep very easy to attach and with the added safety chain i used it never worked lose or pulled of the frame, it folds down to fit in my 2 man tent and is the best assit in my touring kit. I use a Giant Rock converted with a suspention seat stem (GR8), different brake blocks tyres rear gearing etc, (My new bike -OBREA SHERPA DISC 2- on order, will accomidate the Mule easily (THANKS RON @ Cestria Cycle shop CHESTER-LE-STREET, DURHAM.) i am looking forward to C2C Return self-supported wild camping AND HOLLAND/GERMANY TOUR wild camping self supported)
If you live in the north east view my profile on facebook (RobBeck) aurac59@o2.co.uk 07763732206

TimP

I've toured with the Revolution trailer. Generally when laden it ends up behind the tandem, so it doesn't get much chance to push us around. It's last use was taking two mountain bikes with us when we went to stay with friends over the last bank holiday weekend (ride across on the tandem, go mountain biking, ride home by tandem) - I didn't want to commit to 60 on road miles on the bouncy bike.

So two bikes, making a high CoG load, no problems up to probably 40ish mph (can't remember the speeds we were doing, but it'll have gone up to somewhere in that ball park).

For the purpose of expedition: First load your bike properly, that is lots of stuff in panniers. If it is not all going to fit in your panniers then use a trailer.

Kathy doesn't like towing the trailer when laden on a solo as the trailer can wag the bike, but I haven't any problems when towing it solo.

Generally when towing if you have laden the trailer well you end up forgetting about it until you either try to accelerate/climb a hill when you realise quite how much weight is involved or under heavy braking if you are trying to manoeuvre at the same time or the load isn't even.

For more natural handling you want the heavy part of the load to be on the bike rather than the trailer.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I would go for the Bob Yak trailer (not the copy) built to last and have only one wheel

Top Bottom