Discrete / casual clothing for cycletouring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_in_France

Mrs. B and I are planning our first tours for a few years, and our old lycra cycling wardrobe doesn't fit as well as it used to ...

As the objective is to tour, to appreciate the countryside and to visit and explore the places on the way, our criteria for some new kit is comfortable pedalling and walking, but which does not attract unappreciative glances.

So what do you folks use, and what would you recommend ?
Contributions from the ladies would be particularly appreciated !!

Thanks !

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I tend to use Humvee Endura cycling shorts and short sleeve shirts here.
Screenshot_20240107-183837.png

But as the last word on style and cycling I think we ought to throw this question over to @Accy cyclist . He is bound to give the definitive answer on cycling in casual classic attire.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have, in the past, used my nice, ladies, MTB shorts. They look like regular shorts, just above my knee and in a fetching shade of purple (Endura IIRC) and have pockets in. They are padded Lycra shorts built in beneath, but look like regular shorts when on foot. I have also ridden mile and miles in my Regatta hiking trousers with padded pants with a tee shirt or a rugby top. Phone etc goes in a bar or frame bag that can be taken off and carried. I used to have a cycling jersey that was more like a rugby short sleeved top material but had back pockets that zipped. No idea where I got it from and I wore it until last year when it finally fell apart. I’d love another.
Sort of thing in the pic, but without the mahoosive logo.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.png
    IMG_0897.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 7

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I tend to use Humvee Endura cycling shorts and short sleeve shirts here.
View attachment 718279

But as the last word on style and cycling I think we ought to throw this question over to @Accy cyclist . He is bound to give the definitive answer on cycling in casual classic attire.

The bloke who runs the cycling club I was a member of used to say that if I'd put as much effort into my cycling as I do in turning up to pose in different lycra every week and then look at my reflection in windows as we rode along, I could've made a decent competitive amateur. :laugh:

presta

Guru
They are padded Lycra shorts built in beneath, but look like regular shorts when on foot.

If you buy an ordinary pair of shorts, and an ordinary pair of lycra shorts, you can wear one, or the other, or both together. Similarly, if you buy zip-offs, you can have longs or shorts from a single garment. Maximum flexibility from the minimum of clothing. Zip-offs are great, you can switch between longs and shorts in public without having to 'get undressed', and if you get ones with zips in the bottoms of the legs you don't even need to take your shoes off.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I wear trail running tights and 3/4 tights and Endura shorts. Just wear whatever you are comfortable in. It doesn't have to be cycling specific.

I think where you are planning to ride, and when, would be important, no?

As the objective is to tour, to appreciate the countryside and to visit and explore the places on the way, our criteria for some new kit is comfortable pedalling and walking, but which does not attract unappreciative glances.

To hell with unappreciative glances, I say. Dress for comfort, followed by convenience.
There's a magic for a lot of people in the idea of doing a bike tour. Meeting someone on tour, living the dream? In my experience most will be too in awe to have any time for unappreciation.

I don't wear any special "cycle" clothing on tour, not even padded shorts - in fact, I have a theory that by not wearing obvious biking gear I have a distinct social advantage once off the bike.

Decathlon would be my supplier of choice although their offerings are always changing. Either cargo type shorts (I like the pockets) or the zip off style hiking pants. These tend to dry quickly too, either on me or on the line.
Up top, my preference is for whatever is cheap, hides stains, is easy to wash and dries quickly. In both hot and cold weather merino is great. Not the most durable, but very comfy.
On my feet I've either sandals or those runners that allow lots of air through. I had a great pair of Eccos that had elastic and no laces that were brilliant.
I'd always try to have "good" pants and a t-shirt or two to "dress up" when needed but there are not many places I've come across where I've been looked at funny based on what I was wearing.
Spain, is probably the exception, although to be fair, that's all on me, not them. Sundays and Fiestas the world and its uncle are out in their very fine finery. Even my "normal garb" suffers badly in such stylish company. ^_^

In short, I'd dress for comfort in the weather and think about how easy it is to wash and especially to dry.

Muslim countries, of course, may be different, especially for the ladies.

The most important thing to pack and wear as often as possible is a smile.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On my last tour I wore Hummvees while riding (as usual), and a pair of very lightweight walking trousers (from Decathlon I think) in the evening. Cycling jerseys all the time (I didn't pack additional shirts) but for evenings a thin lightweight fleece (Rohan I think) over the top with the option of a merino base layer too if it was chilly.

As @Ming the Merciless says, Decathlon is great for general outdoor clobber.

OP
OP
P

Paul_in_France

To hell with unappreciative glances, I say. Dress for comfort, followed by convenience.
There's a magic for a lot of people in the idea of doing a bike tour. Meeting someone on tour, living the dream? In my experience most will be too in awe to have any time for unappreciation.

I don't wear any special "cycle" clothing on tour, not even padded shorts - in fact, I have a theory that by not wearing obvious biking gear I have a distinct social advantage once off the bike.

Decathlon would be my supplier of choice although their offerings are always changing. Either cargo type shorts (I like the pockets) or the zip off style hiking pants. These tend to dry quickly too, either on me or on the line.
Up top, my preference is for whatever is cheap, hides stains, is easy to wash and dries quickly. In both hot and cold weather merino is great. Not the most durable, but very comfy.
On my feet I've either sandals or those runners that allow lots of air through. I had a great pair of Eccos that had elastic and no laces that were brilliant.
I'd always try to have "good" pants and a t-shirt or two to "dress up" when needed but there are not many places I've come across where I've been looked at funny based on what I was wearing.
Spain, is probably the exception, although to be fair, that's all on me, not them. Sundays and Fiestas the world and its uncle are out in their very fine finery. Even my "normal garb" suffers badly in such stylish company. ^_^

In short, I'd dress for comfort in the weather and think about how easy it is to wash and especially to dry.

Thanks Mr Hobbes !
I typically use Decathlon hiking shorts with a thigh pocket for the ´phone and a pair of Lycra shorts underneath, but Mrs. B was curious to know if there are any more elegant solutions - particularly for lady cyclists.
@Saluki’s reply will certainly help too.
Fortunately, here in France we don’t have to worry about the societal norms of the evening stroll - but I will bear that in mind when we finally get to tour south of the border during the Toussaint vacation !

Top Bottom