Discrete / casual clothing for cycletouring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Mario Cipollini was my cycling 'hero'. Not so much for his sprinting achievements, but more for his posing ability!! 😎 :laugh:

View attachment 718308
Not good news, white Lycra, it goes completely transparent when wet.
To hell with unappreciative glances, I say.
The staff at Kings Lynn Sainsburys were rolling around in the aisles laughing when they saw me wandering round in my Lycra shorts. So what, it never stopped me wearing them, comfort and practicality are the priorities, not what people think of them.

grldtnr

The staff at Kings Lynn Sainsburys were rolling around in the aisles laughing when they saw me wandering round in my Lycra shorts. So what, it never stopped me wearing them, comfort and practicality are the priorities, not what people think of them.

Baggy trousers !
Saggy Lycra !!!
It's so the wrong look.
I wear bib shorts so no fear of that, but ,ahem, things are quite close down there.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I tend to use Humvee Endura cycling shorts and short sleeve shirts here.
View attachment 718279

But as the last word on style and cycling I think we ought to throw this question over to @Accy cyclist . He is bound to give the definitive answer on cycling in casual classic attire.

I have something similar from Sugoi and pair it with a stretchy walking shirt to keep the sun off. My shorts come to just below the knee which means the tops of my legs are protected from the sun when pedalling.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

They are a bit odd in that branch though.

Gwylan

Veteran
Assuming we are talking about European summer cycling. Touring not mile eating.
Decent, simple cycling shorts - that can be rinsed and dried overnight. Padded or not is choice and experience.
Rugby shirts, I have a couple of UV proof rugby shirts I bought in Australia. Bland, but avoid sunburn. Again rinse and dry overnight.
Rohan zip offs or similar, long sleeve linen shirt. An Eddy Bauer fleece type jumper for evenings.

Underwear is a matter of personal choice and discretion.

presta

Guru
Rohan zip offs or similar
Zip-offs are the best thing since sliced bread. I wanted a pair when I saw Michael Palin larking around in a pair at the men's outfitters in Nairobi in Pole to Pole. It took years after that before I found a pair in Gaynors. Rohan's a bit spendy, but Craphoggers are good value.

Gwylan

Veteran
Zip-offs are the best thing since sliced bread. I wanted a pair when I saw Michael Palin larking around in a pair at the men's outfitters in Nairobi in Pole to Pole. It took years after that before I found a pair in Gaynors. Rohan's a bit spendy, but Craphoggers are good value.

Spendy, I know, but watch the charity shops....

grldtnr

Spendy, I know, but watch the charity shops....

Rohan stores sometimes are a good source of end of run & seconds.
Unfortunately I am ' out of gauge' , but the Rohan items I have had had been very good quality, and been worth paying that little extra,
I still have a windsmock/ shirt that fits me, I use it as a windproof and it still does it's job, must be well over 30 yrs old.
Certainly worth it's room in a bag, packs small, washes easy, dries quick .

Cathryn

Legendary Member
So what do you folks use, and what would you recommend ?
Contributions from the ladies would be particularly appreciated !!

Thanks !

Don’t feel you have to wear cycling clothes on tour!

I don’t wear much Lycra when I tour. I generally do wear padded shorts but it’s worth having a really simple skirt to bung over the top when you’re sight seeing. (You can take the shorts off underneath to help shorts hygiene).

On top, I tend to wear loose, jersey-material tops, not cycle jerseys at all. I find jerseys quite hot (in hot weather) and like loose tops so I can get a good breeze going! I also like wearing running vest tops on bike rides! I like a good tan!

Shoes, I tour in trail-running shoes rather than cycling clothes and that gives freedom to walk around off the bike as well!

Attachments

• 75ACABF6-2876-44D8-A4C6-404E23F93659-1422-0000015C5F2EA648.jpeg
    75ACABF6-2876-44D8-A4C6-404E23F93659-1422-0000015C5F2EA648.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom