Trailers For General Use, Shopping etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
In my upright riding days I had a Bike Hod. Used mostly on holidays it made shopping easy, carrying enough for 2 for a week at one lift.

Salar

A fish out of water
A few questions :smile:

How do the trailers cope with disc brakes, any problems fitting them to rear stays and do you need longer QR skewers if axle mounted?

I was considering a seat post mount type as I'd like to use the trailer on different bikes, however from what I've read this type of trailer doesn't seem to be so safe and stable and I wouldn't trust the tow bar hitch in case the trailer bounced off, I'd want something more secure.
I'd be towing approx 25Kg.

I would imagine the cheaper trailers are made for nutted axles and not disc brakes, but I might well be wrong.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I find trailers such a faff, that I prefer just to use panniers and if necessary a rucksack too. I would prefer to shop more often than mess around with a trailer, especially when the trailer limits the routes I can take.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't think I could manage our dog in panniers. :rolleyes:

dogpannier1.jpg

Or if you are too cheap

hersehlclose.jpg

Salar

A fish out of water
Something like this,which is foldable and probably rattly but I'd have to line it near the wheels. Paws and spokes don't mix
trailer.jpg

Tobes

Regular

How do the trailers cope with disc brakes, any problems fitting them to rear stays and do you need longer QR skewers if axle mounted?

I was considering a seat post mount type as I'd like to use the trailer on different bikes, however from what I've read this type of trailer doesn't seem to be so safe and stable and I wouldn't trust the tow bar hitch in case the trailer bounced off, I'd want something more secure.

I would imagine the cheaper trailers are made for nutted axles and not disc brakes, but I might well be wrong.

I have disc brakes on my MTB which I use with my trailer on a quick release axle. The hitch plate is only about 3mm thick and is easily accommodated.

I leave the hitch plate on the bike at all times and can attach/detach the trailer in about 15 seconds

Salar

A fish out of water
This is the hitch mounting for the one I've shown in the above post. Looks fine for discs and skewers and can be left on the bike.

The trailer sides fold inwards. All I need to do is line them with some thin ply / perspex and a few cable ties.

Our dog doesn't like enclosed spaces, so this should suit him with a harness.

hitch mount.jpg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I have disc brakes on my MTB which I use with my trailer on a quick release axle. The hitch plate is only about 3mm thick and is easily accommodated.

I leave the hitch plate on the bike at all times and can attach/detach the trailer in about 15 seconds

This is exactly how mine works. I did have to shave a little off the hitch with a hacksaw so that it hung in the correct place with the trailer attached. Two minute job.

The hitch is on the QR and does not interfere with the wheel or disc brake.

Salar

A fish out of water
I maybe wrong with this trailer as I can't see, but some of the cheap one's there is nothing to stop the wheel from rubbing on the cover if the load your carrying moves inside as there is no bar to stop it, but it wouldn't take much to put two on.

Very true. I've done a bit of googling and some do suffer from frayed side panels from wheel contact and it's not just the cheap ones.

That is one reason I was considering the type of cargo trailer I've shown above, which I can easily add lightweight side panels to protect my dogs paws and nose! and also keep small items in the trailer.

UPDATE
Only thing is,after checking dimensions, the one I've shown might be too small, so might have to buy a larger doggy type and do something to the side walls.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

My trailer came with a hitch same as @Salar up thread.
At the time I only had a bike with nutted axles, so all good.
Now I also have 2 disk brake bikes, the hitch does not fit any of them, worth checking before you buy.
I don't mind using the trailer with just that one bike, because it's the only one that also has a kickstand: parking a bike with trailer attached is so much easier with a kickstand.

Top Bottom