Trailers For General Use, Shopping etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
For the past couple of years I've done a weekly 'bread run' on the bike, but as time has gone by I find myself buying more and more of our weekly shop on the bike. I use the Topeak MTX expandable rack bag which is good for a suprising amount, but more and more often I find I'm either taking a rucksack or not buying stuff as I can't physically fit it on the bike.
I'd love to do multiple trips, but more often than not don't have the time, which brought me on to the idea of a trailer.
I've looked at the 'nice' offerings from Burley etc but they are far too dear for shopping trips. I've looked at cheaper alternatives, specifically these HomCom ones on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOMCOM-F...=item46748ad283:g:FEgAAOSwBCpbDz0n:rk:18:pf:0

No idea if they are any good, but reasonably priced and big enough for my needs. But, a PITA when it comes to parking the bike, since most places I use are simply not geared up for it. So I started thinking about something I could use as a trailer, and take shopping, and the obvious choice seemed to be one of these convertible trailer/buggy things. Ride to shops, unhitch, stick third wheel on, collect shopping. Refitting is the reverse of removal. Link to a HomCom one, simply because I saw it whilst finding the one linked above

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOMCOM-2...m=302602972108&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226

I'd appreciate any thoughts from those out there who use trailers, or have any experience with the brand since they do seem to make a vast number of things..

Salar

A fish out of water
Good question @cosmicbike I'm currently in the same boat, looking for a multi use trailer for the dog and other things.

The first one you show on fleabay caught my eye too. I'd be looking for a folding one if possible. Seems heavy though, same weight as the bike I'm going to tow with.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I maybe wrong with this trailer as I can't see, but some of the cheap one's there is nothing to stop the wheel from rubbing on the cover if the load your carrying moves inside as there is no bar to stop it, but it wouldn't take much to put two on.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've got a dog trailer, sans dog lol.
It's sturdy, has a rain cover, holds up to 18kg of dog (shopping), tested.
Drawbacks: you really need a bike with a kickstand to park, you need a box/cords to secure the shopping, you cannot lock the contents.

simon.r

Person
As an alternative to a trailer, old Pashley Prontos / Mailstars can be picked up cheaply. May be worth considering if you have space to store one? Easily capable of carrying 4 or 5 large bags of groceries (or the equivalent:okay:).

F7342209-0A37-4750-A5C8-C5AC3AB88DF3.jpeg

Mine gets used once a week or so on average, for shopping and general moving of stuff that’s too big for the ‘normal’ bike. Today’s trip was fairly typical - a couple of bin liners of stuff to a charity shop and picking up several boxes of cat food (because it’s cheaper to buy in bulk) from the shop on the way back.

Edit - also available as ‘Elephant Bikes’ https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/ if you’re happy to pay slightly over the odds and help a charity at the same time.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've been using my trailer less frequently since I got a Pronto (an Elephant Bike but I prefer the type in Simon.r's post above- nicer colour, front carrier design and dynohub)

I have panniers too, but mostly I just use the front carrier

xuDbajH.jpg

Can of course use the Pronto and a trailer.

yPckEAp.jpg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I've got a dog trailer which I use for all sorts including ferrying tools around to the allotment (leaving them in the shed will guarantee someone helping themselves, door locked or not). I bought the trailer second hand for £50 about 6 months ago. The dogs have been in it - the Westie loves it, the Yorkie hates it. The trailer is quite sturdy but I find putting a tray or plastic storage container (which aren't heavy) in the bottom keeps your stuff in one place. Secure with bungees where you can. As Pat said above, you do need a kickstand for the bike.

I've never used the trailer for food shopping as our village is at the top of a hill in all directions and the only local supermarket is VERY expensive so travelling further afield (20 minutes in the car) is necessary, however the trailer would be ideal for the job.

Here's my trailer:

View media item 10984

Tobes

Regular
20180407_160310.jpg
I have a Halfords own brand twin child trailer. Bought in a half price sale for circa £80. Had been looking at the Burley range but they were very expensive.

Good for 40kg and folds fairly flat for storage.

Towing 40kg plus trailer weight is another story.....

Added image just to show the connector will allow bike to be horizontal with trailer connected.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

simon.r

Person
I saw this on Twitter. My first impressions (as an owner of a Surly Big Dummy) is ‘Crikey, that just looks very flimsy.’ in comparison to all the tried and tested cargo bikes out there. It appears to be single speed too. I can tell you that’s not going to happen when you are loaded up. I want to be wrong.

Looks like a hub gear. Agree re the flimsy look, especially given they’re talking about carrying 60kg. It’ll be interesting to see the reviews.

5B3CB0C8-CC83-4BEB-8FC4-2FCD2635156F.png
[

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Looks like a hub gear. Agree re the flimsy look, especially given they’re talking about carrying 60kg. It’ll be interesting to see the reviews.

View attachment 445805 [

A 5 gear Nexus hub for a cargo bike? Yup.

The Big Dummy has a payload of 100kg, nearly double this. I think most of us carry the same amount of groceries in the video on our old touring bikes.

The one thing I do like is that by folding it up makes storage and transportation easier than most cargo bikes.

galaxy

Veteran
I have a set of Panniers on my Galaxy. Can manage most things in there. Maybe something to warrant you setting up a cheap Utility/ touring bike. On the flip side escaping for a night or 2 in the summer is excellent fun.

Top Bottom