Trails and Tricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

You'll find you can't just go digging up woods, and you could end up in lots of trouble with a land owner. Riding an MTB you also have to be aware of not 'hissing' off landowners and other users as it can only lead to bans on access. We want access rights opening up. Unfortunately, if you've not got permission, a land owner is within their rights to pull down any features you make. If using and cheeky trails, bear this in mind.

I would suggest you spend a bit of time googling and reading about making jumps etc, and check out some articles on-line rather than expecting a 'spoon fed' response to everything.

Also, google changing punctures, you've probably paid well over the odds for a replacement tube and fitting. Slime in tubes - no point.
but im sure that these woods wouldent be owned. its very small

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Woods. This is where im building them. Very doubt it will be owned

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
but im sure that these woods wouldent be owned. its very small

They will be, all are. Most likely private. Get on the on line version of OS maps too, and start looking where you live.

Don't go blasting down a footpath as you'll upset folk.... and always stop/slow for walkers/ dogs/horses etc. It's important how we share these spaces. I've got some really fast strava times on a couple of my local 'tracks' - i.e. bridleways but when no-one is about - if you see someone, drop the speed, as they will parp their pants at a big MTB coming at them at 20 plus mph... get a few 'social media' reports like this, then we biers are bad...

Our local MTB advocacy group is promoting "Be Nice Say Hi" - it's on all the trail markers aimed at walkers, horse riders, and cyclists. It works...

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've personally found slime in tubes can be effective against small punctures caused by gorse prickles etc, it's probably worth having in there. Won't cause any problems with small jumps and the rough stuff, just make sure you check the tyre pressures regularly and don't ride them too soft or they might go pop on a hard landing.

On the topic of creating MTB features in woods, I actually manage several woodland nature reserves myself so deal with this from both sides of the coin. There are some areas with rare wildflowers and ground flora where creating jumps etc (or even just riding around) can damage rare & protected species. Other areas it's not such an issue. The difficulty for the lay person is telling them apart!

Generally I'd advise sticking to well used trails where you can see plenty of tyre tracks, rather than trying to create your own. At least that way you're not causing any extra significant damage/disturbance.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

They will be, all are. Most likely private. Get on the on line version of OS maps too, and start looking where you live.

Don't go blasting down a footpath as you'll upset folk.... and always stop/slow for walkers/ dogs/horses etc. It's important how we share these spaces. I've got some really fast strava times on a couple of my local 'tracks' - i.e. bridleways but when no-one is about - if you see someone, drop the speed, as they will parp their pants at a big MTB coming at them at 20 plus mph... get a few 'social media' reports like this, then we biers are bad...

Our local MTB advocacy group is promoting "Be Nice Say Hi" - it's on all the trail markers aimed at walkers, horse riders, and cyclists. It works...
I went to them again this afternoon...Just got back from making quite a good start already....Mostly leaves and twigs so clearing them out, and making a path, and started to make a small burm.
Some of my other friends are making jumps/trails, out in the woods, so i think i shall not worry and just carry on building my trail and having fun😃

Top Bottom