Training Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Hi All,
I am really starting to get the bug for this now and find that I am out almost every day (55 rides in May/June). On the days that I can't get out I find myself going to the gym for an hour or so. The benefits are fairly obvious, 1 1/2 stone lost so far and I am finding that both my speed and endurance have increased remarkably, I am also feeling absolutely fantastic in myself, so all good on that front.

I am hoping you lovely lot can advise me on training, currently I have nothing structured. I tend to just get out and ride, usually 25k per day with up to 70k on a Saturday, which is immensely enjoyable but my body does tend to pay a price. I am aware of the benefits and need to train in different heart rate zones, especially for recovery purposes but when I try I always tend to just try to go as fast as I can rather than maintaining in Z1 for example.

I think some sort of structure would assist with this and I would be more likely to stick to it if something is mandated for example.

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks all.

CXRAndy

Guru
Most of your rides would be in Z2, and a couple of short high intensity rides twice a week. If you have the time/inclination try riding for two to three hours non stop in Z2, maintaining a even pace with very little if any breaks in pedalling. This can be difficult outdoors with junctions and gradient changes.

Remember, to have rest days too and a easier week once a month. You get stronger and faster with proper rest. Dont get too overtrained.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Based on your post and experience to date I don't feel you need a structured programme. Many people use them and there are clear benefits but I do wonder if they temper the pleasure of riding.

My suggestion would be if you can ride 30/35 miles a day 5 days out of 7 you will be spot on. Try to ride in your 80% HR Zone. Rest is important and if you feel tired take an extra day or two to rest - you'll understand the benefit when you get back on the bike.

For improved results start to understand the need to fuel your body correctly for your exercise levels. Add to this good levels of hydration whether it's a riding day or not.

Overall avoid becoming obsessed with this and continue to do what brings you pleasure.

OP
OP
Gibbo9

Gibbo9

Veteran
Thanks both, some good advice there for sure. I will add a little more structure in July (without being obsessive about it) and see how I get on.

In response to Andy it is very easy for me to do 2-3 hours of constant Z2 work with pedals constantly turning, we have 2 very large rivers here that intersect and have cycle paths as big as roads, I often use these in the mornings for my 25k rides but can easily use them to get up to 60-70k without having to stop or any traffic hindrance.

Good advice and I will use it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd echo the above advice. It seems you are doing pretty well without us!
Completely agree that enjoying riding must be uppermost rather than just looking at stats and zones etc.
To go further and faster, look to mix up your daily rides for example doing some 'Fartlek'** type intervals for fun and then other days just enjoying a steady cruise.
Ride with others, always good for motivation and fitness - especially if they are a tad faster than you!
Take rest days.
My Sundays are usually a simple 2 egg brekkie and then a non-stop 50 to 60 miles (water, hydration tab and 2 dextrosol) and reasonable pace. Monday is rest and maybe some Yoga with Adriene ;-) This seems to be building endurance quite quickly. I think 60 miles is as much as I can do without a food stop.
Am hoping the local club evening spins will start again soon, always good to have somebody to chase.

Have always cycled, usually distance rather than speed, but the last 2 years or so have not been able to get out much at all. But since starting cycling again at the start of lockdown , my with a regular base 10 to 15 miler along the flat coast in the morning, and without really trying I have lost almost a stone and on a 10 mile loop have gone from 13mph average to 16, and from 25 miles to 60 without issue. Also regularly ride hills for the pain!
Now I can do 60, I know that with food then 100, then 200 miles are becoming readily within reach...and that's just where I want to be (280 miler planned for next summer).

Keep it up, mix it up, but mostly enjoy!

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
Applies to cycling - Sprint away from one set of lights to the next, or from one junction to the next, then take the next section easy etc. Just intervals without a clock!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Most of your rides would be in Z2, and a couple of short high intensity rides twice a week. If you have the time/inclination try riding for two to three hours non stop in Z2, maintaining a even pace with very little if any breaks in pedalling. This can be difficult outdoors with junctions and gradient changes.

Remember, to have rest days too and a easier week once a month. You get stronger and faster with proper rest. Dont get too overtrained.

I'd echo this and it pretty much reflects what I do. Two high intensity turbo efforts a week. Rest of the week low intensity outdoors. Recovery / easier week once every 3-4 weeks. It's a long term sustainable approach.

Smashing it every time you ride can have excellent results early on. But most find its not sustainable in the long term and you either get injured, your fitness stagnates, or you start to increasingly fall ill. The illness is due to the constant cortisol running round the body all the time (from repeated hard efforts) causing systemic inflamation. Cortisol is good to stimulate adaption as it's an anabolic but you also need periods with low amounts of stress hormones in your blood. Low intensity and rest days / weeks can provide that balance.

Remember you get fitter when resting / sleeping after, not during the actual exercise

OP
OP
Gibbo9

Gibbo9

Veteran
I'd echo this and it pretty much reflects what I do. Two high intensity turbo efforts a week. Rest of the week low intensity outdoors. Recovery / easier week once every 3-4 weeks. It's a long term sustainable approach.

Smashing it every time you ride can have excellent results early on. But most find its not sustainable in the long term and you either get injured, your fitness stagnates, or you start to increasingly fall ill. The illness is due to the constant cortisol running round the body all the time (from repeated hard efforts) causing systemic inflamation. Cortisol is good to stimulate adaption as it's an anabolic but you also need periods with low amounts of stress hormones in your blood. Low intensity and rest days / weeks can provide that balance.

Remember you get fitter when resting / sleeping after, not during the actual exercise

This actually resonates with me, I think I have reached that stage now where I just feel like I'm on permanent empty. I have decided this week is going to be a very gentle Z1/Z2 week, keep it on the flat and just pootle along.

Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom