training advice ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Most if not all cycle shops sell gels. You could also get some online. I personally like gels and find them very handy, along with energy bars and drinks.

Like arallsopp said, make sure the bike is set up properly and get some slick tyres if you're riding on the road, they can be extremely helpful.

You've got plenty of time to train, keep increasing your mileage gradually and you'll get there.

I agree £50 is alot for slicks. I say go with Schwalbe marathon + or something.

Actually try here
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41023&highlight=mountain+slicks

Also kimz for the distances you're doing, I wouldn't eat anything like energy gels. It's simply not worth it. Eat porridge the night before instead.

edit: I didn't realise you're thinking of doing a +30mile ride. In that case, maybe a couple of energy gels would help. I dunno, just seems like a waste of money to me when you could just have a few bananas instead.

OP
OP
K

kimz

Yeah 30 miles i think to start with i already do about 20 to 25 most days but its spilt up into sections so i need to start doing larger milage in one go ;) just gotta work out routes !

was thinking about the gels when im doing digger distances not just yet but need to know where to get them

and 8 seems a bit better for tyres do slicks get more punctures ?

OP
OP
K

kimz

not looked at the training thing yet have saved it but that ride looks very nice although some of those hills are very steep :biggrin: i dont do hills lol:blush:

but just thinking the 100km 62 miles would be a good test before the 118 in july ?;)

davidg

yes, I agree. I am ultimately training for the Fred Whitton challenge which I am going to do in September (I am doing an Olympic triathlon in July, which is going to get in the way a bit but all good for all round fitness!).

I am putting a few events in to build up for that. The best website that I have found for having events on is http://www.cyclosport.org/events2010.aspx

I am building up my base at the moment, getting longer and longer until May, then will probably try to get a bit faster given the triathlon, and then after July look to build up distance again and some hills (which I hate as well btw!)

I am going to do the Evans ride on 7 March and probably the Burgess Hill one (middle one seems sensible)...

have been slowly building up over recent weeks at the w/e having just commuted around 14 miles a day before.

OP
OP
K

kimz

thankyou will have a look on that too see till i came on here had no idea there were so many rides - olympic triathlon wow you must be fit or will be ! is triathlon where you have to swim too ? dont swim !

years ago i thought of doing a ride and run event but never did

davidg

let's hope I will be! it's a challenge and all I want to do is finish it respectably...I only just learned to swim front crawl properly in November! Still not great, but at least I know I can do the distance albeit slowly....around 40 mins for 1500m

OP
OP
K

kimz

ok just looking on that site can anyone tell me what sportive means is this only for proffessional riders or any one with a good fitness ? and what does gpx mean ?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
GPX is a file type for GPS. Anyone can enter a sportive, whether it's a good idea is another matter...

I would do a 40 miler as soon as possible to see how you get on and then work towards a metric century. You'll get a buzz out of doing them anyway.

OP
OP
K

kimz

ummm whats a metric century :thumbsup:

and agree have been looking for rides about 40 miles just to test how fit i am or not as the case maybe :girl:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
metric century is 100km ~ 62 miles.

It's not so much a test as part of the training. In my opinion doing 40 and 62 milers builds up a bit of tolerance. Find a nice route off somewhere slightly different and you'll enjoy the 40 and 62 miler, you'll have a mini adventure off somewhere and enjoy it in itself and get a big buzz out of doing some much bigger distance. You can do 118 miles, but I'm a bit more cautious than the "anyone" can do it attitude on this forum. Many of my favourite rides have been cobbled together 35-45 milers.

OP
OP
K

kimz

ah a 62 miler yes i think i said somewhere there was one i could possibly do but agree a 40 would be my first call :girl:

you have all been so helpfull i hope i can see this through now ,

will try to find a 40 and 62 mile ride then something bigger before the 118 one

i think i should be able to cope with a 40 miler even now but really depends on hills and some of those rides have killer hills

anyone done the hampshire hilly hundred ??? wow that looks some testing ride there i will stear well clear :thumbsup:

Top Bottom