training advice ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

kimz

how do you work out the size of the hills and how many from those map thingys ???

cant work this one out

think i might need to work on my hill work then :biggrin: :ohmy:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
There's normally a profle graph that accompanies a route, where the distance travelled extends on the horizontal axis, and either the gradient, or altitude extends on the vertical.

The scales are wildly different, and even a nearly flat ride over a suitable distance will look like grass.

What you or I call 'hills' may vary, but anything under 20 metres in a kilometer (2%) will pass pretty much unnoticed.

Try drawing out a journey you know on a mapping site, then looking at the profile. You'll soon get it.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Perhaps, but what I really meant is that there are short rides I've done that have over 300m of vertical ascent that anyone would be pushed to notice.

Most roads undulate a little, and if it does a 17cm up and down every 10m, you'll cover 300m in 10k, without ever appearing to climb.

Such a ride would have 5k of climbing, but again, its the same 17cms you're climbing each time, so it won't add up.

Profile graphs can make it look a lot worse than it is. :ohmy:

OP
OP
K

kimz

yeah there is another long road where it dips up and down so i gather this would not show on a graph only one of the hills would ?

the one i struggle with is longish which is why i am struggling i think i am determined to get up it soon i will do some longer rides and work on hilly areas then try to beat it ;)

Top Bottom