Training - ebike and a non ebike

Discussion in 'Electric Bikes' started by jann71, 26 Feb 2019.

1. jann71

jann71 Über Member

I've entered a sportive to ride with one of my friends, unfortunately ebikes are not allowed.

Which is a shame as I'd be doing 66 miles with a smile on my face all the way round.

Since buying my ebike early last year it's the only bike I've ridden. Still have others.

I'm currently riding to work and back (10 miles round trip X 4 or 5 days a week) + 30 mile ride at weekend, all on my ebike.

Does anyone here ride an ebike and a road bike?
    Do you feel any benefit on road bike after doing miles on ebike?

2. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

What sportive is this?
    Strange ruling, a sportive is not a race, I don't see why an ebike should not be allowed.

Zofo and YukonBoy like this.
  3. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

10 miles round trip commuting, I'd give my right arm for that, I'd be doing it regularly on my roadbike and loving it. It's just the right distance.
    For me, 14 miles each way is too much, time wise and arriving at work sweaty if on a roadbike. Once the light is right and the cold has cleared, I'll hopefully be doing it regularly on my crossfire e, time is about the same but to arrive fresh and not sweaty is marvelous.
    So I have both types, road and e. Truth is, it's so easy to just jump on the e, I don't have to get changed particually and of course it's easier...and I need that in the winter, I hate winter and generally hibernate so the ebike given me the opportunity to get out more than I would have on the roadbike...so maintained some level of fitness.
    But as the warmer weather approaches, the roadbike will get more non commuting rides.

4. OP
    OP
    jann71

jann71 Über Member

Etape Loch Ness.
    If I hadn't read the FAQs I wouldn't have noticed.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  5. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Try a similar distance Audax, e bikes are allowed.

jann71 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  6. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

My commute is 15 each way.....all done on my ebike now. Sod the pedlar, causes me too much pain when climbing

Epowah all the way for me now

7. Slick

Slick Veteran

I'm surprised that's an Etape rule and a bit disappointed if I'm honest.

A silly rule which highlights they are just behind the times. I would just do it anyway. :okay:

Pat "5mph" and jann71 like this.
  8. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Sorry for going off topic but does the Cube cope okay with 30 miles round trip a day?

9. OP
    OP
    jann71

jann71 Über Member

Me too, expensive event to enter ☺️

I've dropped them an email asking why.

Pat "5mph" and Slick like this.
  10. jowwy

Ive done 57 miles on it and still had 2 bars of battery left.........

11. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

The 500 or the 400, £200 difference to buy, seems a lot

12. jowwy

i have both batteries.....as have 2 x cube's

the 500wh battery is the one i did the 57mile ride on, but today i am riding on the 400wh battery for todays commute ( forgot to recharge 500 after yesterdays commute).....so far after 15 miles, with a 3mile 350ft climb at the start of the commute, i still have the full 5 bars showing available and will report back when i get home this evening how many bars were left once i take the 15 mile return trip with 1200ft of climbing

13. OP
    OP
    jann71

jann71 Über Member

Thank you for your email. We are looking at the possibility of allowing e-bikes at future events, but unfortunately, they are not allowed in the 2019 event.

:angry:

14. jowwy

how would they know? what ebike you got?

id ride the route anyway, nothing they can do about it, as its a public road and not a closed road event

Last edited: 27 Feb 2019
    Pat "5mph" likes this.
  15. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I really do not see what difference it makes, clearly somebody has got a 'cheating' attitude on the commitee

jann71 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice