Training for the Etape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger1

Veteran
ive signed up to do the Etape next year. The mileage doesn’t really faze me, my longest ride is 87miles without that much training, however it’s the uphill bits I’m not looking forward to!! What is the best way for training for long drags uphill,if there aren’t any long drags uphill near you?

I’m not a million miles away from South Wales/Mendips so will try and find some hills but is it just doing hill reps as well as just getting the miles in the legs?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You will never manage those hills if you are only starting preparation now! Tell you what, I will swap my entry to the Wales Velothon with your Etape entry to help you out. It's on the same day and if you don't manage the small Welsh climbs at least you won't be so far from home when you quit.
No need to thank me, it's no trouble for a fellow CC'r :okay:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
ive signed up to do the Etape next year. The mileage doesn’t really faze me, my longest ride is 87miles without that much training, however it’s the uphill bits I’m not looking forward to!! What is the best way for training for long drags uphill,if there aren’t any long drags uphill near you?

I’m not a million miles away from South Wales/Mendips so will try and find some hills but is it just doing hill reps as well as just getting the miles in the legs?
I would say don't bother with repeats of the same hill just do rides with lots of elevation. You could consider driving to a hill such as the Tumble and cycling up it if it's too far from you to take in a ride. I completed a hilly sportive (6,660 feet of climbing) and the best preparation for it was including plenty of hills in my rides.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Most folks quickly end up in their lowest gear and I’m no exception. I use a 36x29 on 25mm rubber and at 78Kg end up with a relatively low cadence of 70rpm and often lower, depending on gradient. For multi day events I’ll set a reasonably steady tempo and just keep going, i.e. if threshold is 270watts then I’ll tap out 220 Watts and not go into the red. Of course, you can gauge on heart rate, perceived effort, or whatever does it for you. For a one day event you can afford to squeeze out more effort. So, bearing all that in mind- I’ll train by simulating the event. Hills are best, but if you can’t find em then tap out your tempo / cadence combo as required. Rinse and repeat as often as you feel necessary....only you know what works for you.

I have several friends who live in France and they are doing the Etape next year for which they have now all been training very hard now for over a year on rides in the very steep and lumpy foothills of the Alps, Massif Central & Pyrenees. So as far as I am concerned anyone planning on doing this 169km ride must be exceptionally fit to stand any chance of completing the distance.

Top Bottom