Training on three hours a week... according to the wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am taking Pam shopping this morning as it is easier and more fun if we do it together, after that we may get a ride in on the bikes if this wind drops a bit. At this moment I am answering business emails whilst Pam tidies up and does household things.
My wife is hopefully getting a bit of sleep after looking after / feeding the toddler all night. I'll take her a cup of tea at seven and then all hell will break loose as we get the kids ready and try to get to the childminder on time.

The concept of 'going for a bike ride' is so far detached from my reality it's laughable.

screenman

Legendary Member
My wife is hopefully getting a bit of sleep after looking after / feeding the toddler all night. I'll take her a cup of tea at seven and then all hell will break loose as we get the kids ready and try to get to the childminder on time.

The concept of 'going for a bike ride' is so far detached from my reality it's laughable.

You do the cycling when the kids are older, I have had many a break in my 53 years of being what I consider a cyclist.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You do the cycling when the kids are older, I have had many a break in my 53 years of being what I consider a cyclist.
Yes, I'm sure things will get less hectic, the kids are still very young. And I'm not complaining, just explaining how it is.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm sure things will get less hectic, the kids are still very young. And I'm not complaining, just explaining how it is.

I guess a lot of us have been there, we had kids at home for 43 years due to the spread of their ages, I still managed to race through a lot of them but have always made sure if the importance of quality time together, so many guys are not good at this, even more so in Lincolnshire we have found than the people we know down south.

I think the mistake was to stop cycling so your wife sees any time cycling as time taken away from her. She's not seen the 20 hour training weeks so saying you've cut down won't help.

What's the government advice on exercise to stay healthy ? Push that. We all know people who have popped their clogs way before their time.

Good luck.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think the mistake was to stop cycling so your wife sees any time cycling as time taken away from her. She's not seen the 20 hour training weeks so saying you've cut down won't help.

What's the government advice on exercise to stay healthy ? Push that. We all know people who have popped their clogs way before their time.

Good luck.

Would it not be better to just dedicate more time to your favourite thing, your wife?

NHS advice is do at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity a week. I guess some of that could even be bedroom activity.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got to do it smart when in a relationship (same house) and even more so when kids are around. Yes, buggering off for 4-5 hours at a weekend is selfish. I had a period where I wasn't riding much as the kids were young. Can you cycle commute - that's the winner. If it's a long way, then maybe cycle on a couple of days. Two of my jobs were around 30 miles away. Even at a good pace the journey took about an hour 45 on the bike each way. Add in showering, it was a very long day, so I'd only do it occasionally. Ideal distance is about 10-15 miles each way - far quicker than the car usually, and your training is done.

I'm WFH so try and do a home to home commute during lunch !

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been with Jannie for 15 years. We have never raised our voices.
Cycling is not the problem in your relationship. Trust me.

plastic_cyclist

Golf, Cycling and Football = single person sports,
Dear CycleChat,

I'll typically be out on the bike(s) 15hrs or so a week year-round ... and the wife's not complaining.

Should I be worried about the state of my marriage?
Have you checked her phone ;)

Top Bottom