training plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
Cadence has been debated a lot lately. There are studys to show a lower cadence can be as if not more efficent as a higher cadence. I think it's more accepted now that cadence is an individual thing and depends on muscle fibre types along with a few other things. The point is no one really knows but I would sat cadence is not something to worry about for the OP as a beginner.

I think we all settle into a preffered cadence mines about 85 it's just what feels right.

I think we can overlook feel a lot, the human body is very clever at telling us what is right

huwsparky

Über Member
I would typically do cadence pyramid type efforts.
Im not going to provide specific details of my training plan on a public forum as costs me money, if you wish to contribute to the costs then we can discuss this further.
Lol. The irony.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know turning a larger gear faster makes me go quicker. I also know to benefit from a plan that you need to stick to it.

S-Express

I would typically do cadence pyramid type efforts.
Im not going to provide specific details of my training plan on a public forum as costs me money, if you wish to contribute to the costs then we can discuss this further.

It is impossible to train cadence in isolation and then claim that it is cadence which has brought about the improvement in your performance though. If you are doing pyramid efforts, then the increased aerobic demand is the key improver (and is what improves your performance), not specifically how fast you are spinning the pedals.

Just to add - providing details of an extract from your plan should be no issue at all. In isolation, giving details of one particular drill will be useless to anyone in terms of their use of it - and besides, there are free resources all over the internet. Talking generally about the drills and their desired outcome was all I was asking for. If I want training plans, I have my own from a few years back.

Last edited:

MistaDee

I lack a desire to get into a pointless debate regarding cadence although I do not recall ever suggesting that it was trained in isolation or that the efficiency I have gained from doing this kind of effort was specifically from how fast the legs were spinning. If you feel that undertaking cadence work as part of a training plan has no value then I would request that you state so and why to enable the OP to make an informed decision.
I also stated that I think the OP needs to undertake measurement to understand if the training is working, this way it can be adjusted to suit his own needs and goals. If you dispute this also feel free to educate the OP as to your reasoning
Providing extracts from my own plan is no issue at all, I simply do not wish to share it. As you correctly state there are free resources all over the internet however this does not mean they are suitable for all. Unlike many others I do not profess to be an expert on training which is why I employed the services of a qualified coach to ensure that I am gaining knowledge and experience that far surpasses that found on a typical cycle forum.

S-Express

although I do not recall ever suggesting that it was trained in isolation or that the efficiency I have gained from doing this kind of effort was specifically from how fast the legs were spinning.

Well, if we accept that cadence is a term used to indicate specifically how fast the legs are spinning (if you have a different definition, let's hear it), then your two quotes below suggest otherwise:

I would also want some cadence work as part of a training plan to help improve efficiency on the bike.
I gave some advice regarding what seems to be working really well for me

I'd be interested to understand how your 'efficiency' on the bike has improved using these cadence drills.

If you feel that undertaking cadence work as part of a training plan has no value then I would request that you state so and why to enable the OP to make an informed decision.

I regard cadence as a by-product, not a training goal in itself. Time spent at intensity (or various intensities) is how most coaches measure training progression, and I imagine most coaches would suggest riding at whatever cadence is necessary in order to achieve the desired intensity for the desired length of time. Your view obviously differs, but you don't seem very keen on enlarging on your earlier comments unless we pay you first.

ayceejay

Guru
Can we assume that the young fella's goal is to ride a distance of ten miles at 20 mph consistently. just for the sake of argument. What would he need to do to achieve this? Is it a realistic goal

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Can we assume that the young fella's goal is to ride a distance of ten miles at 20 mph consistently. just for the sake of argument. What would he need to do to achieve this? Is it a realistic goal
Yes it is a very realistic goal and i imagine if he keeps up with his club TT's he will be doing that kind of speed or better next season .

Tin Pot

Guru

A bike.

A 20 mile stretch of road.

Tin Pot

Guru
I haven't done much of the plan this 2 week due to family holiday. No race think its finished until the winter series but thats the end goal before the summer series

So crit racing is the goal?

Lots of high intensity then, Google trainerroad and criterium - that should get you going.

However as we're near the end of season I think the next six months would be best spent on base building, either lots of long z2, or 90% z2 and 10% z4/5. Indoor trainer is good for a specific high intensity session.

adamangler

Veteran

If this is his only goal, then i would suggest very simply riding 10 miles as fast and as hard as he can until he hits 20mph, theres no need for long zone 2 rides or intervals, he simply has to raise his threshold which will be achieved by riding at or above it for periods during this 10 miles.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If this is his only goal, then i would suggest very simply riding 10 miles as fast and as hard as he can until he hits 20mph, theres no need for long zone 2 rides or intervals, he simply has to raise his threshold which will be achieved by riding at or above it for periods during this 10 miles.
It's not his goal at all . It was a comment made to him by someone who told him to not bother racing untill he can do that speed . Personally i think that person has given bad advice and think racing is the best form of training . If you're racing you're mixing with people faster than you and normally they give you good advice and tips rather than telling you to go away and get faster .

ayceejay

Guru
It is unclear what the goal is - I only suggested that 10 mile thing as a possible in an attempt to get something specific down as opposed to "just ride yer bike". Personally I think the just ride yer bike IS the best advice for a beginner and the specifics will come later but jamma seems to be looking for a fast track without stating clearly where he is heading,

adamangler

Veteran
The problem is with no clear defined goal then simply "ride ya bike" is the best advice anyone can give.

Unless a specific goal is given then theres not much point in asking for a training plan.

Top Bottom