training plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
I have started doing this structured training plan i made to give a variety while riding the bike if any advice to change or improve sessions are welcome.

(If your here to say sh!t and tell me that the plan is sh!t just don't post a reply)

Monday: easy ride 1-2 hrs at a zone 2 hr
Tuesday: interval session 20 secs / 40 secs recovery 7 reps
Wednesday: easy ride 1-2hrs at zone 2 hr
Thursday: intervals session 20 sec /40 secs 7 reps
Friday: easy ride 1-2 hrs at zone 2 hr
Saturday: endurance ride 3+hrs
Sunday: day off

S-Express

What kind of events are you targeting - and when are you targeting them? Without some context, the plan doesn't mean anything.

Although on the face of it, you have potentially up to nine hours a week of general/easy riding, which seems excessive. Also, what is 'zone 2' in terms of where is it in relation to your max HR? Zones mean different things to different riders, so it's worth clarifying that.

Intervals seem a bit easy. Generally recovery is considerably less than the effort.

Different sport, but playing rugby, with fitness training we generally do interval sprints at 30seconds + 5second recovery 10 reps

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What are you training for in z2?

Do the interval days include a warmup(otherwise your effort isn't much longer than 7minutes)

What do you do on the second week?

What's the purpose?

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I have started doing this structured training plan i made to give a variety while riding the bike if any advice to change or improve sessions are welcome.

(If your here to say sh!t and tell me that the plan is sh!t just don't post a reply)

Monday: easy ride 1-2 hrs at a zone 2 hr
Tuesday: interval session 20 secs / 40 secs recovery 7 reps
Wednesday: easy ride 1-2hrs at zone 2 hr
Thursday: intervals session 20 sec /40 secs 7 reps
Friday: easy ride 1-2 hrs at zone 2 hr
Saturday: endurance ride 3+hrs
Sunday: day off

I would favour longer intervals, 4mins on 4 mins off but in honesty I use hills for intervals on the road, I'd use a trainer for structured intervals.

Nothing wrong with plenty of z2 rides to build/maintain aerobic fitness.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Z2 is for aerobic fitness and its all for getting the speed up to 20mph avg so i can race.

The second and third week i do the same then take a rest week so mg fatigue reduces but i keep on spinning or easy exercise.

Intervals session does include a 20 min warm up and cool down

S-Express

Z2 is for aerobic fitness and its all for getting the speed up to 20mph avg so i can race.

Assuming your zones are the same as the BC zones, then riding at an all-day pace (ie zone 2) is not going to increase your speed by very much. I would be inclined to replace two of your easy/recovery rides with a 2-hour ride at zone 3 (ie tempo pace).

The second and third week i do the same then take a rest week so mg fatigue reduces but i keep on spinning or easy exercise.

You don't need a 'rest week' on that training load. You have three days of recovery/easy riding, and you have sunday off (why Sunday?). Replace two of your three 'easy' days with tempo sessions, and take the other one off. You now get two rest days per week and a harder training load.

Intervals session does include a 20 min warm up and cool down

What specifics are you targeting with these intervals? 20sec is a max effort. I would be targeting Vo2 intervals, of around 5 minutes. 20 seconds intervals are usually the 'icing on the cake' in the weeks before the racing season starts. As people have asked before, what are your targets?

Sharky

Guru
Bear in mind where we are in the season. Although still August, in reality, you only have about 8 weeks left to the end of the racing season (and probably only 4 weeks to the end of club 10's) and then we will be hit by dark nights and worsening weather. Need to have a long term plan to keep you going with enthusiasm through the dark months and then build up in the spring to achieve your goals.

Re average speeds - you can use average speeds as a control test on set training rides, but don't assume that you need to achieve a certain speed before you start racing. Many of my training rides are under 15mph avg, yet whet it comes to our weekly 10's, then I would be very disappointed if I didn't achieve 20mph+

If you haven't already this season, it would be a very good measure for next season, if you rode a couple of club 10's and get a bench mark time that you can work to improve next season.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Bear in mind where we are in the season. Although still August, in reality, you only have about 8 weeks left to the end of the racing season (and probably only 4 weeks to the end of club 10's) and then we will be hit by dark nights and worsening weather. Need to have a long term plan to keep you going with enthusiasm through the dark months and then build up in the spring to achieve your goals.

Re average speeds - you can use average speeds as a control test on set training rides, but don't assume that you need to achieve a certain speed before you start racing. Many of my training rides are under 15mph avg, yet whet it comes to our weekly 10's, then I would be very disappointed if I didn't achieve 20mph+

If you haven't already this season, it would be a very good measure for next season, if you rode a couple of club 10's and get a bench mark time that you can work to improve next season.

I have been at my clubs weekly 10 last one this week and first time i avg 18.1mph and now last week i avg 20.1mph but everyone i have talked to have said don't bother racing until you can keep a 20mph avg and thats some people on here aswell

S-Express

Racing isn't about being able to hold average speeds on your own though. I've never averaged 20mph on a solo ride, but it never stopped me placing in races.

Train to improve your threshold and VO2max figures and the ability to hold high levels of effort for relatively short periods of time, not to achieve some random average.

Sharky

Guru
I have been at my clubs weekly 10 last one this week and first time i avg 18.1mph and now last week i avg 20.1mph but everyone i have talked to have said don't bother racing until you can keep a 20mph avg and thats some people on here aswell
There are many levels in racing, so any advice needs to be taken in context, but you seem to have proven already that you can ride at 20mph+ and you are competing, so well done.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Well i have emailed the guy who puts a local crit race on to see if this thursday is the last one which is a bit odd cause there is lights around the circuit but the local club 10 is over after this thursday so need something to do and if i get spat out the back and lapped its a learning curve for me ☺

WelshJon

Im no expert many any stretch of the imagination but i imagine crit racing is about short bursts and sprints after each corner to stay in the pack. So intervals are definitely good. Sundays day off + Mondays easy ride might not be beneficial, maybe a day off tuesday and hit something harder on the monday ?

Top Bottom