training plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
So crit racing is the goal?

Lots of high intensity then, Google trainerroad and criterium - that should get you going.

However as we're near the end of season I think the next six months would be best spent on base building, either lots of long z2, or 90% z2 and 10% z4/5. Indoor trainer is good for a specific high intensity session.

Yes end goal is crit racing and does any9ne have any suggestions on a turbo before i just go to halfords and get a tacx smart trainer

huwsparky

Über Member
Yes end goal is crit racing and does any9ne have any suggestions on a turbo before i just go to halfords and get a tacx smart trainer
Crit racing is great fun, you'll have a ball. Just don't use a bike you have any care for!

ayceejay

Guru
Jamma. I know this has been said before but the best or most expensive bike/wheels/ turbo trainer will not improve your performance in whatever kind of racing you prefer as much as doing it will

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Jamma. I know this has been said before but the best or most expensive bike/wheels/ turbo trainer will not improve your performance in whatever kind of racing you prefer as much as doing it will

I know that but i don't want to be looking at a wall while doing training at 9pm so a smart trainer with zwift will help

Tin Pot

Guru
I know that but i don't want to be looking at a wall while doing training at 9pm so a smart trainer with zwift will help

Ive heard very good things about Zwift, and generally approve of the gamification of indoor training.

Myself I prefer to be out in the wind and rain, only used the turbo five times last winter/spring.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A friend of mine started cycling in his late fifties. He does between 7 to 10 miles a day , after work , and a long ride at weekends, maybe up to 40 miles . His method of training seems to work as he is now faster than me and can keep up with others 20 years younger. I think I will copy him ( except when it rains).

Tin Pot

Guru
Not as

I disagree, watching TV or sitting for hours on forums is boring, being on a turbo doing specific sessions I feel are not.

Plus they are more efficient/effective.

I'm a huge proponent of turbo sessions, even through I do t do em :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'd rather get up with the rising sun and knock out 20 miles before work than get on a turbo trainer . I don't do either but if i had too lost sleep would win !

adamangler

Veteran
Bkool is great. Still I find its just as quick to go out on the bike than setup the trainer fans etc so only use it when it's dark or really bad weather

ayceejay

Guru
Now that we have discovered riding criterium is the objective I would say, since skill is a huge factor, that turbo training should be used only as back up and riding in a group out on the open road should take centre stage. Also in the general course of events there is one break after another and this can be hard on a body that doesn't have basic fitness so we are back to that Jamma - sorry.

adamangler

Veteran
Ive found there is a big difference between using something such as bkool or zwift vs a standard trainer.

I must have used my old turbo half a dozen times in two years, i would rather ride outside in the dark/wind/rain/snow than use it.

However since getting bkool, i use it even now at least once a week, its handy to just jump on, its interesting to me, you can race solo or with friends, in leagues etc. I do enjoy it but then i enjoy gaming as well. I can imagine if you dont enjoy gaming or stats then it may not be for you. But i really enjoy sometimes more than going out on the bike!

Top Bottom