"Training" plans for a multi-day tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Assume in the region of 100km per day for a week or so.
Assume 100km in a day is within my grasp but 100km day-in-day-out for a week or more is territory I've not entered for too many years, but I have done a few 3 day weekends with that sort of daily distance, including two last summer.
Assume I can ride up to 200km per week Mon-Fri (20km x 10) commuting to/from work once the evenings get lighter.
Assume the trip is in mid-May.
Assume I'm old(ish 51yo) but relatively fit.

What training should I do to enjoy the tour rather than endure it?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Regular long day rides and a few 3-day weekends should do it. Start now. And shed as much excess weight as you can.

At least that's what worked for us a couple of years ago, and what we're going to do this year.

The Isle of Wight ride on the first May bank holiday provides good training - ride down (day 1), round the island (day 2), ride back (day 3). Day 2 is somewhat hilly...

You need to define suffering but I don't think you need to do much more. Extend your commutes a few evenings, long day rides at the weekend, keep it all to a back to back build up a few weeks before you go and ease off in the final week.

I wouldn't even do that much, suffering on tour has a different dimension to it than trying to get up the local 10% in good form. I've not prepared for many tours beyond any cycling I was already doing and have gone on more than a few with no preparation, that's the beauty of touring.

Totally different if you plan on long fast days of course.

VamP

Banned
It kind of depends on how much you have done over the last year, and who you're going with :smile:

If you've been doing similar to what you describe as your proposed plan for this year, then I would expect you to be fine. Unless your companions are going to be faster than you, and you will end up having to push yourself to keep up...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
None. 200 km pw is way more than I do and I don't suffer on 2/3 week loaded tours even with some mountains thrown in.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It kind of depends on how much you have done over the last year, and who you're going with :smile:

If you've been doing similar to what you describe as your proposed plan for this year, then I would expect you to be fine. Unless your companions are going to be faster than you, and you will end up having to push yourself to keep up...
Two trips; one May, one June. Both credit card tours in effect, carrying as little luggage as possible. First is with a mate (who in 'real life' is nominally my boss in the day job) and I'm faster and have more stamina than him but he is 10 years younger and may decide to train this year to get me back for last year. Second is with a bunch of people who can ride rings round me, especially when the climbing starts, but it is a social ride so they'll wait or I'll map read or something.

VamP

Banned
Sounds fun.

Might be worth throwing in some intensity work once or twice a week. I like to do intensity on the home leg of my commute, as I find it easier to get in the zone... and if I need hills it's easier to detour for them then. It's a lot easier to do intensity work using a heart rate monitor, so give that some thought, if you haven't already got one.

Ditto - Richp - but I cycle solo, am very slow, take my time and carry a bit more luggage than a credit card

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
No training needed. I did a 100km per day unsupported camping LEJOG on the back of far fewer miles than you do Greg. I was and still am far porkier than you and I don't baulk at the idea of any 100km per day tour of a fortnight upwards.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't tend to put in as many km as that on a weekly basis, but I'm quite happy to set off on tours of about that length with quite a bit more than a credit card. You'll be fine

doog

As stated your commuting distance will be more than enough.You may want to prepare for some unexpected pain in the knees if you are doing mountains or big hills (Nurofen plus will get you home) and some irritation in the saddle region (assos cream or vaseline for the day and sudocreme at night)...

A 100 km,s is only 62 miles, so you should be ok with that sort of distance, as to training, as long as you have been cycling regularly, you might as well train on the Job so as to speak. By your terms being old at 51, I guess at seventy, I must be really, really old, and those poor things much older than me still cycling must be really really, really old.
Some years ago I was at the cafe stop on Headley common when two old buggers arrived on there cycles complaining about the hil up into the village one was 91 and the other was 86 and it was they young one who was complaining. so still hope for you Gregg

Top Bottom