"Training" plans for a multi-day tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another vote here for no training. I would think you are doing more than sufficient in prepareation. Any chance of allowing a day off or an early finish on some days? That may give you an out if things are not going to plan.

I have a bit of a ride coming up and it is planned around rather conversative daily milage and putting the tent up sometime around 4:00 PM each day. This way I have some built in flexibility if I need it.

Regards
Andrew

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A 100 km,s is only 62 miles, so you should be ok with that sort of distance, as to training, as long as you have been cycling regularly, you might as well train on the Job so as to speak. By your terms being old at 51, I guess at seventy, I must be really, really old, and those poor things much older than me still cycling must be really really, really old.
Some years ago I was at the cafe stop on Headley common when two old buggers arrived on there cycles complaining about the hil up into the village one was 91 and the other was 86 and it was they young one who was complaining. so still hope for you Gregg
I did say 'oldish' :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ditto - Richp - but I cycle solo, am very slow, take my time and carry a bit more luggage than a credit card
that implies camping.... I'm never that desperate.:thumbsdown:

Having said that, having got my old tent out of the loft, I am now thinking about some spring overnighters if I can get the passes.

So it's really more of, keeping up with ride companions, and hills in particular, in which case, some hill repeats or even flat tt speed repeats, though I've never tried the latter but it works apparently.

After touring my hill climbing was always improved in terms of endurance but I was always slower than when I just went out riding, it surprised me the first time but then on tour, you're not really trying to go faster.

Sounds like you know yourself what you need to do.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So it's really more of, keeping up with ride companions, and hills in particular, in which case, some hill repeats or even flat tt speed repeats, though I've never tried the latter but it works apparently.

After touring my hill climbing was always improved in terms of endurance but I was always slower than when I just went out riding, it surprised me the first time but then on tour, you're not really trying to go faster.

Sounds like you know yourself what you need to do.
Any clues on how to prepare for real hills (Scotland) when you live somewhere with no real hills (Sussex)? Is hill repeats the way to go? Plus losing the blubber?

Climbing is the weakest aspect of my riding.

Any clues on how to prepare for real hills (Scotland) when you live somewhere with no real hills (Sussex)? Is hill repeats the way to go? Plus losing the blubber?

Clues yes, expert no. Chris Boardman used to put his mtn bike on an inclined treadmill, probably not an option for most of us.

Losing weight is an obvious one and as someone who has lost 10kg over the last year, I can tell you it does make a difference, quite a profound one, so that would be on my list.

There was a discussion on here not long ago about improving hill climbing, I'll try find it, that had lots of good advice, better than I can give. I'll post the link in when I find it.

This was it http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/training-for-hills-when-you-dont-have-any.89833/ lots of views, no real conclusion but food for thought.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1687258 said:
I don't think that fitness or training are going to be an issue for you. The only thing that might concern me would be joint or, to put it delicately, contact point pain.
I think most of the nerve endings in my r's are now dead courtesy of Messrs Brooks of Brum.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Clues yes, expert no. Chris Boardman used to put his mtn bike on an inclined treadmill, probably not an option for most of us.

Losing weight is an obvious one and as someone who has lost 10kg over the last year, I can tell you it does make a difference, quite a profound one, so that would be on my list.

There was a discussion on here not long ago about improving hill climbing, I'll try find it, that had lots of good advice, better than I can give. I'll post the link in when I find it.

This was it http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/training-for-hills-when-you-dont-have-any.89833/ lots of views, no real conclusion but food for thought.
I think I'll stop reading at the second post and break out the mtb at weekends. Combination of the South Downs climbs and current trail conditions must tone the legs no?

I think I'll stop reading at the second post and break out the mtb at weekends. Combination of the South Downs climbs and current trail conditions must tone the legs no?
I would think so. At this time of year mtn bike miles are more equal than road miles and it never seems as grim in bad weather as on the road.

frank9755

Cyclist
To make sure you are ok doing 100km per day on tour the normal rule of thumb is you should be comfortable to do a 150km day ride. If you can there really is nothing else to do to prepare - other than doing another tour!

The best way to prepare for Scottish hills while in Sussex would be to put some sensible (ie low) gears on your bike!

doog

If its any consolation I did Spain to the UK over the Pyrenees last year fully loaded. My hill training was zero (just commuting) I had about 3 days in the mountains crossed the border at 5000 feet, with a couple of cat 2 climbs on that crossing, im not saying it didnt hurt at times but I had the had right gearing to sit and spin away. (mid 40's- average fitness)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Greg, when I trained for a hilly French sportif, I rode the mountain bike up and down various paths ofthe scarp face of the Downs. I may do so again this year.

Greg - you're a tease. :girl: Just put this 'training' word to bed...you don't need any. Now go and have a beer. No harm in riding a bit now though - don't wait for the clocks to change and all that, as Mr Cameron might stop lighter evenings so that we can all be in the dark together.
You'll be fine.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A few rides up Bury Hill should sort you out Gregg, I can never make to the top now, end up pushing up after the 2nd bend, mainly cos i hate twirling the pedals, makes my old knees ache
Went up it, from Houghton, off-road on Saturday as it happens! Doesn't get any lower or shorter does it? Don't like the ?A29? climb on road at all.

Top Bottom