Training with a power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've just ordered a 4iiii power meter from Merlin in hopes of streamlining/focusing any structured training during this lockdown period. Prior to this, I was out most days (commuting and leisure), and I would basically just ride. Nothing too structured or focused, other than increasingly longer rides targeted at my big ride of the year. With the lockdown, and all of my targeted rides cancelled or postponed, and long rides outside not the best of ideas at the minute, I signed up to Zwift and enrolled on their Build me Up 12 week training plan to keep me going and hopefully make me a stronger ride. I'm now in the second week of the plan, and decided to buy a power meter to help with it. My current set-up is a classic trainer with speed/cadence sensors and a HRM. When the power meter arrives, should I re-do the FTP test on Zwift?
Anything else I need to keep in mind while using it?
Thanks

viniga

Guru
Your trainer power is likely estimated and may or may not track the power from your 4iiii... so if the 4iiii is the one you will use outside then use it inside too and test with it. I guess you won't need to re-test if they track closely but I suspect they won't.

I've just ordered a 4iiii power meter from Merlin in hopes of streamlining/focusing any structured training during this lockdown period. Prior to this, I was out most days (commuting and leisure), and I would basically just ride. Nothing too structured or focused, other than increasingly longer rides targeted at my big ride of the year. With the lockdown, and all of my targeted rides cancelled or postponed, and long rides outside not the best of ideas at the minute, I signed up to Zwift and enrolled on their Build me Up 12 week training plan to keep me going and hopefully make me a stronger ride. I'm now in the second week of the plan, and decided to buy a power meter to help with it. My current set-up is a classic trainer with speed/cadence sensors and a HRM. When the power meter arrives, should I re-do the FTP test on Zwift?
Thanks
Yes, you should re do the FTP test. Once you’ve got the power meters set up you’ll be able to see in which zone you’re operating in real time. Get a structured training with power plan, and follow it. My Garmin worked out my FTP, from the live power meter data coming in, I then set it to show live time power zones, and worked with it like that.

Thanks
Yes redo the test, as your last FTP will have been inferred from the trainers typical power curve, and the meters readings will be much more representative of what you can output . I use a smart trainer (taxc vortex) and was quite impressed how much I could improve in a given period of time. ( I use traineroad)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What is not to love about doing a proper FTP test? Personally, I would ride for a while to check that the power meter is behaving, then rest up and smash out a test and try not to be disappointed when the result says it is lower than the rough estimate provide before..

Top Bottom