Trains and folding bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coupling my renewal of cycling with an overall desire to be "greener" I tried the train to Hull and back for the football and apart from walking to the station, time was about the same, traveling more relaxing than driving, and marginally cheaper too.

Thing is, I often go visiting after football to the other side of Hull, and messing about with buses isn't convenient so I was thinking of a cheap folder like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230383802135

Basically because I can get one new for about £75. I've put together one of the smaller 16" wheel ones of these Pyramid bikes and they are a little cheap and tacky, I know, but should manage 2 miles to the station this end, 2 miles to football then 4 miles in nice, flat Hull, to go visiting, before back to the station and back on the train (not normally a packed "football train" since mostly away supporters are travelling from elsewhere). Besides, it wants to be cheap locked to the railings outside the ground.

What are trains like for folders like this which fold up reasonably but nowhere near like a Brompton (can't justify that for 12 miles a fortnight) Rarely use trains at all so not sure how practical it really would be

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Coupling my renewal of cycling with an overall desire to be "greener" I tried the train to Hull and back for the football and apart from walking to the station, time was about the same, traveling more relaxing than driving, and marginally cheaper too.

Thing is, I often go visiting after football to the other side of Hull, and messing about with buses isn't convenient so I was thinking of a cheap folder like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230383802135

Basically because I can get one new for about £75. I've put together one of the smaller 16" wheel ones of these Pyramid bikes and they are a little cheap and tacky, I know, but should manage 2 miles to the station this end, 2 miles to football then 4 miles in nice, flat Hull, to go visiting, before back to the station and back on the train (not normally a packed "football train" since mostly away supporters are travelling from elsewhere). Besides, it wants to be cheap locked to the railings outside the ground.

What are trains like for folders like this which fold up reasonably but nowhere near like a Brompton (can't justify that for 12 miles a fortnight) Rarely use trains at all so not sure how practical it really would be

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I used to use a Dahon Cadenza on the mobbed Birmingham commuter trains. Quite big when folded and never had a problem.

Outside London i think you'll probably be ok pretty much anywhere with a folder.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I used to use a Dahon Cadenza on the mobbed Birmingham commuter trains. Quite big when folded and never had a problem.

Outside London i think you'll probably be ok pretty much anywhere with a folder.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Pretty much fine. Football transport being slightly different.

As jimbo said elsewhere a lot of bikes like that are used at motorsport events.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Pretty much fine. Football transport being slightly different.

As jimbo said elsewhere a lot of bikes like that are used at motorsport events.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Jezston said:
You sure the train doesn't have provisions for regular bicycles?

Don't want to risk missing kick-off if someone already has a bike on the train forcing me to wait for the later one. I'm sure space is very limited for bikes, first-come-first-served

Top Bottom