Trains planes and automobiles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow, I used to go every year as I lived just up the road.
That's a bit of a coup for W & Ws. Do you know any more details?

presta

Guru
Back in the early 80s I had a boss who was a member of Essex Gliding Club at NWA, his own glider was a single seater, but he took us up in the club trainers a few times. He also arranged an evening's paragliding with the Harley Chutes who were based at NWA at that time. Eventually he graduated to powered flight, somewhere I have some aerial photos of my house that I took from a Cessna 172 we hired from Stapleford.

It's a pity he moved on really, as he bought an Ex-RAF DH104 Dove after that, followed by three Canberras including WK163, the one that set a world altitude record at 70310 feet on 28 August 1957. I wouldn't have minded going for a jolly in those!

My ex-boss & his wife are the ones wearing shades in this photo:
1656196375126.jpeg

http://www.wefly.ifield-park.co.uk/canberra.htm

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Back in the early 80s I had a boss who was a member of Essex Gliding Club at NWA, his own glider was a single seater, but he took us up in the club trainers a few times. He also arranged an evening's paragliding with the Harley Chutes who were based at NWA at that time. Eventually he graduated to powered flight, somewhere I have some aerial photos of my house that I took from a Cessna 172 we hired from Stapleford.

It's a pity he moved on really, as he bought an Ex-RAF DH104 Dove after that, followed by three Canberras including WK163, the one that set a world altitude record at 70310 feet on 28 August 1957. I wouldn't have minded going for a jolly in those!

My ex-boss & his wife are the ones wearing shades in this photo:
View attachment 650537

http://www.wefly.ifield-park.co.uk/canberra.htm

The diminutive chap in the green flight suit seems vaguely familiar.

Edited to add that I’ve just realised that WK163 was the Canberra bought for restoration by the Vulcan team at Doncaster, although little seems to have come of this following planning wrangles about their proposed hanger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom