Tram lines, rain, bike, tarmac!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
Well last week I had my first serious crash, and all my own fault.

Last Thursday, it was raining on my commute home, as I got to the station, soaked right though, I decided to ride the whole way (24 miles). Everything was great, I got some good speed and really enjoyed the ride. About 1 mile from home I got a good speed up (guestimate 15mph) crossed some tram lines (not used a great deal) next thing I know my front wheel is at 90 degrees and my face is sliding along the tarmac. I saw a light coming towards me in the distance and the cyclist was good enough to stop and check I was ok. As he rode off he said "Safe cycling", could have told me a few minutes earlier.

Anyway damage done, blood pouring out of a cut by my eye, grazed and bruised cheek, grazed knee, and other minor bruises and to the bike just the end cap came off one of the bar ends, phone was dead after though, although not sure if that was a result of water or landing on it, one ruined glove and tears in clothes. Day after; black eye and bruises down side of the face, knee and and down to foot all bruised and 'possible' broken or bruised ribs as they still hurt a week later.

Like I said my own fault and I think myself lucky it wasn't worse, I have crossed that section 100s of times and always been wary of it, this was just a momentary lapse of concentration after a great ride.
419343_2832539970948_1182604197_32240984_1175791108_n.jpg

2012-02-12%2018.29.53.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ouch, sorry to hear about this.

I always cross tram lines/ Rail lines at a crawling pace for this very reason.

Dan_h

Ouch, I too have a battered face at the moment, must be the time for it! I don't have such an impressive shiner though :thumbsup:

Ethan

Them tram lines are lethal!
Sorry to hear about it, looks bloody painful!
I came off recently too, my shoulder looks exactly like your eye. No fun is it!

Hope your back on the bike soon!

Ouch! I don't encounter tram lines very often, but there are numerous cattle grids I do encounter, and every single one of them makes my bum tighten quicker than a camels arse in a sand storm:giggle:
Hope you heal nice and quick :thumbsup:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I would only cross tram lines at 90 degrees on, even if it meant pulling to the side of the road and waiting for a gap in the traffic. Seen a few bikes go down on tram lines. Cattle grids are also lethal, but best if taken at speed, as go too slow and your front wheel just turns on it's own and over you go!!!!

Ouch! It makes me glad that there is only one part set near me, which I can cross perpendicularly.

OP
OP
headcoat

headcoat

Über Member
Thanks for all the comments, I'm healing nicely, still got bruises, black eye sore ribs etc. I was back on the bike the next day and rode across the tracks again. Luckily the trams are rarely used and seem to be more of a hobby/tourist tram line (and you don't get many tourists in Birkenhead :smile:

+1 for 90 degrees and extra careful in the wet.

I learnt to cycle in Melbourne,
TramNetworkMap3.jpg
where tram lines are unavoidable.

There are a lot of roads where staying off the tram tracks and out of the door zone is a challenge. It was in the news when I was last in Australia that a cyclist died here when he was doored and fell under a lorry. (what's British for "tip truck"?). Oh, and the driver of the car didn't even get a fine - it's just as illegal in Australia as here to open a door with care.

When I was a kid, a girl (7 or 8) was run over by a tram I had got just got off - ie I didn't see anything - apparently she remained conscious and crying for the hours it took to get the tram off her, but died later that evening. I always treated trams and tram lines with respect (aka terror) after that.

twowheelsgood

My sympathies! My one and only serious accident was pretty similar to this only it was railway tracks proper crossing a road. Happens instantaneously as the wheel stops dead. I can confirm that the conservation of momentum is very real in these circumstances. Landed on my right arm and took about a year to get fully well again (probably a slight fracture), even today the joint clicks when I stretch it.

"just a momentary lapse of concentration after a great ride."

Yup, that's all it takes...

Top Bottom