Tramadol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nacked my shoulder. Indescribably painful.

Had to come off Naproxen as I had a bad reaction, ended up breathless and odd feeling. Shame, because it did manage the pain.

Doc has put me on prescription strength co-codamol, which isn't all that really, and isn't doing much to stop me having tourettes when the tendon in my shoulder goes 'twang'.

Next up the Doc is talking about Tramadol, which according to Google is a big gun which works well but can have some dodgy side effects. After my experience with Naproxen I'm a bit wary. Any of you good folks been on Tramadol? How did you get on?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Nacked my shoulder. Indescribably painful.

Had to come off Naproxen as I had a bad reaction, ended up breathless and odd feeling. Shame, because it did manage the pain.

Doc has put me on prescription strength co-codamol, which isn't all that really, and isn't doing much to stop me having tourettes when the tendon in my shoulder goes 'twang'.

Next up the Doc is talking about Tramadol, which according to Google is a big gun which works well but can have some dodgy side effects. After my experience with Naproxen I'm a bit wary. Any of you good folks been on Tramadol? How did you get on?
Haven't been on it personally but both my folks have been. Step mum was taken off it because it made her very woozy and even more prone to falls than she already was. Dad takes it too and reckons it makes him sleepy but no other obvious side effects. Although, after reading the above post, he has mentioned really weird dreams too.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Didn't like Tramadol. Side effects were vivid peculiar dreams, skin crawling itching and on a bike ride vomitted on the first climb.

However, I was prescribed codeine and told to mix and match with paracetamol. It took a couple of days to find a balance that actively managed the pain, but I could keep the paracetamol at a constant of two three to four times a day, and choose one30mg codeine or two if I overdid things. I also took 400mg ibuprofen in the cocktail but needed lanzaprozole to prevent the reflux that caused.

The trick is to keep it regular and not to wait until it hurts before you take the pills.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not a huge fan of Tramadol, give me straight Codeine anyday of the week (not that Co-Codamol tat)
When I was in hospital for the leg I was given Morphine (both times) and got off it ASAP (really weird dreams)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was on it last year after my crash once they took me off morphine.

It masked the pain so I was doing stuff I shouldn't have been, together with the side effects stated above. After 2 weeks I decided to come off it as it was too unpleasant. I preferred the pain!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That's then problem DC, the pain is too much. I'm sleeping badly because two or three times a night I'll move in bed, it'll go twang and the pain will wake me up. Can't cycle, driving is small doses at best, can't get myself full dressed, finding it difficult to even wash myself fully in the shower. I need to be more mobile than I am.

I ended up at the out of hours doctors at the Hossy thanks to Naproxen. They reckoned I wasn't in immediate danger of keeling over, but needed to stop taking it immediately. Shame, because in pain relief terms it was fairly good.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Initially about twelve years ago, I took Tramadol four times a day for about ten days with no side affects other than constipation.
I'm still prescribed it to take as required (not often). I would not take it though after midday if I want sleep the following night, as my mind stays very active for hours after.
Seems to affect folks differently does'nt it. I guess it depends how much you need the relief it may provide.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I've heard it's good for riding quicker on your bike... :becool:

Red17

Veteran
Was on tramadol when I broke my T4,6,8 and 11 vertebrae and didn't get on with it.

I was hallucinating and overheating badly - I was soaking wet with sweat and felt like I was in a sauna although I was morphine as well at the time

Hospital switched me to codine (still with the morphine top up) which didn't have the same side effects - that just bunged me up totally

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Was on tramadol when I broke my T4,6,8 and 11 vertebrae and didn't get on with it.

I was hallucinating and overheating badly - I was soaking wet with sweat and felt like I was in a sauna although I was morphine as well at the time

Hospital switched me to codine (still with the morphine top up) which didn't have the same side effects - that just bunged me up totally
As someone who has been on Codeine quite a few times (broken collarbone x4, several broken ribs x5, knee surgery and a snapped Femur plus the removal of the 1st Intramedullary nail and a bigger one inserted after they'd drilled the inside of the bone out) I have one tip to avoid getting 'bunged up' as soon as you feel the slightest urge to 'go' get on with it, if you wait even a couple of minutes then you will get constipated.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Not a huge fan of Tramadol, give me straight Codeine anyday of the week (not that Co-Codamol tat)
When I was in hospital for the leg I was given Morphine (both times) and got off it ASAP (really weird dreams)
After my hip replacement they gave me morphine and OxyContin. Didn't come close to reducing the pain. After a word with the nurse they put me back on codeine and ibuprofen. It was like night and day. I was up and walking in less than 24 hours. After a week I dropped the brufen and halved the codeine. I'm now down to a two paracetamol and a single codeine theee times a day. Weaning slowly, but three weeks after the op I'm walking a mile at a time without sticks.

Red17

Veteran
As someone who has been on Codeine quite a few times (broken collarbone x4, several broken ribs x5, knee surgery and a snapped Femur plus the removal of the 1st Intramedullary nail and a bigger one inserted after they'd drilled the inside of the bone out) I have one tip to avoid getting 'bunged up' as soon as you feel the slightest urge to 'go' get on with it, if you wait even a couple of minutes then you will get constipated.

Wasn't an option - I was flat on my back for 4.5 weeks and not allowed to move.

Had to put up with the male nurse with rubber gloves and hands like Pat Jennings :ohmy:

Top Bottom