Tramadol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And heed the warnings about driving while taking them

vickster

Legendary Member
Works better for me than co-codamol, and a bit less constipating (all opiates are). Paracetamol enhances the effect. Knocks me out, certainly wouldn't drive while taking. Does make me perspire too but that's ok if asleep and pain is relieved

It's a different type of drug to Naproxen which is an anti-inflammatory

Perhaps get the source of the shoulder pain addressed asap? Get a steroid injection? Recent one seems to have finally settled the post op pain in my shoulder enough to get through a day at work (along with replacing naproxen with celecoxib (taken with a stomach protector and food)

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
I took Tramadol long term after an accident (dislocated and broken pelvis), then after the botched repair and the further 2 ops to put things "right" or as right as they'll get :dry:
Anyway I managed ok on it, kept the pain in check and I was able to work (had to).
I cut down slowly when coming off it but had a few episodes of feeling awful, weak and dripping in sweat :sad: horrible feeling.
The Consultant told me Tramadol is horrible stuff and he was amazed I was functioning fully, even going to the gym when I was taking it.
Had it's time and place for me but would be very reluctant to have to take it again.
The bunged up issue is very true. Nobody warned me though :stop:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nancy Mitford said having a baby was 'like trying to sh1t a watermelon'. Welcome to the world of women :smile:.
When I was in hospital in Douglas after a bike smash, the lad in the bed next to me had asked for a bedpan. He was in traction and had been there a week. After a short interrogation the sister suggested a glycerine suppository and a couple of nurses pulled the curtains round him. Five or ten minutes later the sister returned and asked how things were going. In a lovely Irish accent one of the nurses replied "The head's engaged Sister"

si_c

Guru
Tramadol is an effective painkiller, it's rather different from Naproxen which as @vickster said is an NSAID similar to ibuprofen.

One thing to be very careful about is that Tramadol is an opioid with a correspondingly high risk of addiction, studies have found that even short term use can result in significant withdrawal symptoms. This in addition to side effects such as reduced focus and alertness (basically you shouldn't drive) as well as the aforementioned constipation, amongst others.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't take it, as it is a very effective painkiller, but it's not without potentially serious side effects.

[QUOTE 4709937, member: 9609"]very likely - but you may go down the wrong road[/QUOTE]
The pharmaceutical equivalent of a SatNav then?

This is a joke....

There is a useful site MHRA

This is the licensing information

It does not help with how you will respond individually, but is a good guide to sidecefects, potential issues and problems

Not foolproof, but allows a more informed decision

clockworksimon

Über Member
Have a look at the patient.co.uk website. Lots of useful articles in this in addition to layperson friendly info on medicines.
http://patient.info/medicine/tramadol-for-pain-relief-mabron-tilodol-zamadol
Tramadol is a useful medicine, a step up from codeine, paracetamol, ibuprofen in both pain control and possible side effects. Very useful for lots of people but ideally you still want to address the cause of pain rather than just the symptom. To put things in context, when in a lot of pain from my own back, without pain killers I feel dizzy, tired, sick etc just from the pain itself!

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I was on Tramadol for post-operative pain. Absolutely wonderful stuff but it has industrial strength constipation as a side effect.
It doesn't affect me as badly as codeine. I find a daily dulcoease while taking helps :smile:

The best thing is lots of fluids and keep moving around, not an issue with a shoulder injury, harder after back or leg injury / surgery for example :smile:

clockworksimon

Über Member
Can/should tramadol be prescribed for someone who is not in pain, but who suffers from drink and drug addiction and depression? (It looks like a bad idea!)

If not in pain then it should not be prescribed full stop. Commonsense applies! Tramadol is widely abused and recently was upgraded to controlled drug status.

Top Bottom