Tramadol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Spent far too many months on Tramadol over the past few years, until it was discovered that it may well have been making the problem worse. I had it as a 'top-up' along with Oromorph to assist with outbreaks of pain which the Fentanyl on it's own couldn't deal with. Whilst it is very effective, I really struggled to get off of the stuff, though in fairness I was dropping all 3 at the same time. The worse side effect was the hallucinations, and the very very real feeling thoughts that came with it. I had to follow my wife to work more than once as I had convinced myself she'd died in a car crash, and in the end insisted on her texting to say the kids had been safely delivered to school, and she was at work.
The itchy skin, twitches and dreams mentioned by others also featured.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd be happy just to have it at night to get some decent shut eye, instead of rolling over onto my bad shoulder and waking up with serious tourettes.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I'd be happy just to have it at night to get some decent shut eye, instead of rolling over onto my bad shoulder and waking up with serious tourettes.
A dose of modified release tramadol may help the pain killing effects last through the night. If you aren't currently sleeping because of the pain there will be a vicious circle at play. Being tired and worried about pain makes pain worse. Keep a daily pain diary and review with your doctor regularly. This helps greatly when working out titration of treatment. Never be tempted to use someone else's tramadol. Both you and they will be breaking the misuse of drugs act - same law as covering heroin, cocaine etc. It is useful and safe to use if under medical supervision and is used widely. Less dangerous than morphine or oxycodone which are the next steps up the scale.

vickster

Legendary Member
What are you doing for the shoulder injury? Physio? Surgery? Need to fix the issue as well as the pain

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Kip on the settee, if you wedge yourself in good you can't roll over (worked for me every time I've broken collarbones/ribs)

vickster

Legendary Member
Pillow under bad arm as well can work for shoulders, lie on good side.

Pay to see a physio privately (I'm sure you can afford it ;) ), they can help you with this stuff

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It doesn't affect me as badly as codeine. I find a daily dulcoease while taking helps :smile:

The best thing is lots of fluids and keep moving around, not an issue with a shoulder injury, harder after back or leg injury / surgery for example :smile:
After about four days on Tramadol (and an NHS diet), I asked the nurse for a laxative... and then some more... Big mistake! Ten hours sitting on a PFI lavatory seat quite ruined the opioid bliss of my love affair with Sister Tramadol.:cry:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4712447, member: 9609"]It was my first go with pain killers and I had been put on Naproxyen and codine (or some similar opiate based drug) and I realised that I had not been for about a week so I was then given some sort of laxative. a few hours later I started to go - I could have re-tarred the A1. This was when I realised the Naproxyen had created a burst ulcer and I must have been bleeding into my gut. It was off to hospital in an ambulance (didn't put the sirens on which was a bit of a disappointment) - The wife had to get a mate round with a JCB to sort out the out-house[/QUOTE]
I had a similar 'experience' after the leg surgery, NHS food is dire for fibre (despite having 'Bran Flakes' for brekkie) but the 2nd time I was in I happened to mention the food to a guy who'd been in for some time and he passed a tip on, ask for the 'ethnic' menu and then go for the vegetarian options on that, the Saag Aloo with Daal and rice was actually quite good even came with a Chapati and a small pot of natural Yoghurt.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a similar 'experience' after the leg surgery, NHS food is dire for fibre (despite having 'Bran Flakes' for brekkie) but the 2nd time I was in I happened to mention the food to a guy who'd been in for some time and he passed a tip on, ask for the 'ethnic' menu and then go for the vegetarian options on that, the Saag Aloo with Daal and rice was actually quite good even came with a Chapati and a small pot of natural Yoghurt.
The veggie option is usually a good choice if you are somewhere with industrial catering like a hospital or a plane. Strangely enough, the morning after coming round in the cardiac High Dependency Unit, I was offered a pretty decent fry-up for breakfast. I'm fairly sure that Tramadol didn't make me imagine that, but it's possible.

mythste

Veteran
I understand it varies person to person.

I was put on codein for a severe head pain hat had me in hospital for a week but that stuff sent me properly west! Tramadol knocked the pain off with not much in the way of side effects.

GWS!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Been feeling a bit low the last few days. A little rudderless, with a sense of foreboding. The feeling isn't quite strong enough to be called depression, but I'd say it's well on the road.

Checked the side effects - depression is listed. Geeerreat. I'm on a fairly high does, 2 x tables, 4 x daily, and they ain't doing much for the pain and are making me feel low, so the sooner I'm off them the better.

Penmere

I'm in constant pain from Spinal Stenosis and Psoriatic Arthritis. I'm on Diclofenac and Amitriptyline, Amitriptyline is used to treat chronic (long-term) pain caused by arthritis, spinal problems, fibromyalgia, chronic headaches and peripheral neuropathy

Big Andy

Über Member
I was on it for about 8 weeks last year after cracking 3 ribs. Initially put me on codeine which didnt touch the pain but did save me a lot of time as I didnt go to the loo for a week.
Had no issues at all with the Tramadol. Wifey is on it daily and has bee for a couple of years because of back issues. She does have some weird dreams but that could be because she is weird. Lol

Top Bottom