Trangia fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magna

Got my new stove. Would like to know how much fuel people carry and how long it lasts. Cheers in advance.

Bigtallfatbloke

I would that depends on how readily available it is at your nightly pitch. It's heavy so the less the better....but anyway to answer the question I carried a litre bottle and it lasted me about a week ish

OP
OP
M

Magna

Cool. I can only envisage getting away for weekends really so I guess I'll just get the half litre fuel bottle.

I've been amassing my gear over the past couple of months and with a nanok performance -10 on it's way, I'm ready to rock and roll. (Well I could do with a bike actually . . . but that arrives mid-April).

ASC1951

Guru
Half a litre should do for a weekend, even though alcohol doesn't pack anything like the punch of paraffin. If you put about 5% water in it it reduces the sooting. Something to do with free radicals.

In the end I just kept all the aspects of a Trangia that I liked i.e. went for the gas conversion.

campagman

Guru
I have used water and the sooting is minimal. Does anybody know if I can add the water to the fuel bottle before starting the trip, will that effect the meths somehow? I think that trying to add a teaspoon of water to the burner could be a little fiddly and possibly result in spillages, etc.

andygates

Sure you can. My meths has been in its bottle (the Trangia branded bottles are pricey but indestructible) for about three years and is still good: I watered it when I got it.

Brock

Cooking kebab on a Trangia takes must take some skill.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
it's good to make a ratatouille on the trangia, when in south france, italy or somewhere with delicious cheap fresh vegetables

and if you need to ask for meths in italy, they pronounce it alk-hule

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
hubgearfreak said:
it's good to make a ratatouille on the trangia, when in south france, italy or somewhere with delicious cheap fresh vegetables

It's easier and quicker to buy and open a tin of the stuff :biggrin:

redcogs

Guru
i'm waiting for my new Trangia to arrive (complete with non stick ware!). Exciting. i'm such a sad bugger that i've even looked on YouTube and found a few little films about how to use em - which has made me even more excited :sad::biggrin:

Meths with water? shaken, or stirred please?