Trans Pennine Trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Sixmile asked about my TPT experiences so I thought it worth a thread to highlight this hidden treasure and share experiences.

I used to live near Rotherham (and got out!) so my range was out towards Doncaster where an arm turns off towards Cusworth Hall from TPT 62, and in the other direction I went as far as Tankersley on TPT 67, at junction 36 on the M1, and further north on TPT 62 to Worsbrough and Dodworth.
Cusworth Hall has an ace tea room

Now I live in Penistone I usually go south on TPT 62 in Wharncliffe Woods and Grenoside, and north past Winscar Reservoir to Holmfirth. @Sixmile get the legs ready for the climbing out there!
I have a favourite loop now that goes 29 miles round TPT 67 & 62, taking in Elsecar Heritage Centre for the steam trains and coffee shops.

There's bits of roads, some nice gravel (watch out for the shitty slippy dolomite when it's wet round Doncaster and Sprotborough), and a lot of tarmac laying been done to make things more family friendly.

Without it I'd be lost and have to be a roadie.

Check out www.transpenninetrail.org.uk for loads of info, and there's the East, Central and West maps available from book shops etc.

BrynCP

Über Member
I've done the entire TPT from Southport to Hornsea.

As above, it's a bit of a mix, from nice country roads, easily passable gravel, to bumpy ride through woodland (in the dry, in the wet maybe a different challenge to bumpy!) and even sand in some areas. The bit at the peak of the pennines I doubt is very passable on anything other than foot. I did it on a hybrid and had no issues - except the 100s (ok I exagerate a bit) barriers you have to pass and normal, wide flat bars don't fit through easily.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've done the entire TPT from Southport to Hornsea.

This is what I'd be looking to do, albeit whilst pulling 2 kids in the trailer. We'd average around 20-30 miles a day when we tour so I'll be looking into this to see if it could be our big trip next summer. We went from Dublin to Holyhead to Birkenhead this year. I don't mind the odd section where we'd have to get out and push, as there was a stretch like that near Llandudno this year but if there are significant stretches that are impassable by hybrid then we'd have to rethink. Barriers are a BIG annoyance when pulling the trailer but unhitching, lifting over and reattaching is something we've become experts at!

I'd love to hear if anyone has attempted the full length of this with kids.

BrynCP

Über Member
This is what I'd be looking to do, albeit whilst pulling 2 kids in the trailer. We'd average around 20-30 miles a day when we tour so I'll be looking into this to see if it could be our big trip next summer. We went from Dublin to Holyhead to Birkenhead this year. I don't mind the odd section where we'd have to get out and push, as there was a stretch like that near Llandudno this year but if there are significant stretches that are impassable by hybrid then we'd have to rethink. Barriers are a BIG annoyance when pulling the trailer but unhitching, lifting over and reattaching is something we've become experts at!

I'd love to hear if anyone has attempted the full length of this with kids.

There are two particular sections that come to mind.
  • There are some steps to climb near Runcorn I think it was. They're fairly easy with just a bike as they're long and shallow, not sure how you'll find it with a trailer.
  • At the end of the Londendale Trail, near Woodhead pass, I found it hard work walking up the surface just pushing my bike (with luggage on it). This is basically taking you off the road (A628), if you stayed on the road you'd come to the point the off road part ends and you can rejoin the trail (which continues on a road off the A628).
  • There were some narrow sections on sand, and some parts through woods with no real surface, just mud and tree roots. Very bumpy, it was actually hard work on the hands/wrists.

Sixmile

Veteran
Do you think if I purchased the actual maps on the link above that they'd be helpful in pin pointing surfaces to see where we might have to find alternatives? I don't mind taking the trailer on the road in parts but if these difficult sections are lengthy then it might not be possible for us. I'll continue to look into it!

I've tried marrying up the map outline on the trail site with what's marked out on RidewithGPS. Are there a lot of new sections on the trail that will not have been marked up yet? I've found projects over here that have been completed in the last number of years aren't on RideWithGPS as 'bike lanes'.

Last edited:

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Me and a friend started the Southport to Hornsea route in 2007 but had to call it off due to flooding. Been using my bike to get to and from work since leaving school lol but only recently gotten back into riding for pleasure and would love to complete the c2c this time

Top Bottom