Trans pennine trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

strofiwimple

Veteran
Hi, just back in the saddle after quite a long enforced lay off, fitness level not too bad now & i have a week off work soon and am going to (or attempt:smile:) to cycle from the north east to relations on the Wirral. Going i am using a route i've used before through Kirkby Stephen & Lancaster. Just for a bit of variety i was looking at the TPT for the homeward journey then up through York as i have done that section before.
If anyone has used the TPT and can give me any advice - good or bad - about the trail it would be much appreciated.

Garz

Squat Member
The one I frequent on is the route 91, not sure if you skim this on your way so sorry if I cant be of any help!

Good luck on the journey though and post your findings as im sure others on here might be doing similar or the same route in future.

The TPT is fine, but at the present time its one weakness is the mud, the mud and the mud.....it comes in all varieties, sticky mud, wet mud, clingy mud and mud mixed with horse manure.

Oh - and it can be muddy in places as well.

Seriously though - many stretches have problems especially when shared with horses and after wet weather can cause slow cycling and lots of freeing of brakes..

nigelnorris

Don't expect to get much speed up. I used to use the Warrington -> Manchester stretch a lot, and it's just a mass of either those A-Frame things to stop m/bikes and the likes going through, or worse still there are a few railways sleeper type barriers where you have to dismount and lift your bike over them. Really nice surface to ride on though, a lot of proper tarmacced cycle path.

On the plus side around Warrington there are nice coutry pubs every few hundred yards so refreshements are easily available :evil:

I live near the trail in Stockport, if I've got it right the bits near me are not all tarred, some are gravel (might be confusing the TPT with 'route 62' though...). Am I right in thinking it runs next to the Mersey for a bit?

Also there are many different 'options' to get you over the motorway, all of which will get you there but it might be a bit confusing seeing signs pointing in two different directions.

OP
OP
strofiwimple

strofiwimple

Veteran
Thanks for the replies, yes it does run next to the mersey for a while Savage.
I think i will stick to the minor roads and give this one a miss for now especially with the rain we have had lately, i dont like the sound of mud, mud and more mud!
Probably go down through Kirkby Stephen then pick up the Lancs cycleway which i have done before and if not too knackered back through the forest of bowland and N york moors. I know its hilly but i will give myself plenty of time and im never too ashamed to walk if it gets too steep :-)
Just a footnote- I have been building my fitness back up with a lot of gym work, cross trainer & static bike etc, I went out for four hours yesterday and nothing prepares you for that strong wind in your face!! I live right on the east coast so just about 75% of the ride was into it- i enjoyed the homeward stretch a lot though ;-)

Bodhbh

Guru
Have used it from Doncaster to just shy of Stockport, where keeping track of it in the urban environment seemed too much like hard work and I just joined the A57 into Manchester. I didn't think the surface was too bad, but was on a MTB.

Seems a very easy way to cross the Pennines, but pretty boring at times. Gets a bit better after you cross and start decending on the Manchester side and the views improve. Other thing, lots of families, walkers, and whatnot out at the weekend, can end up slowing down alot.

After Manchester, headed down towards teh Airport and thru the Cheshire lanes as was heading more in that direction anyhow, perhaps that's anotehr option to reach the Wirral.

RedBike

I've only ridden a few bits of the TPT but the parts that i've done have all been relatively mud free, remarkably flat and pretty well surfaced for what is essentially an off-road track.

I suppose some parts will naturally be better than others and a lot will depend on the weather.

OP
OP
strofiwimple

strofiwimple

Veteran
Thanks for all the tips, i will leave the TPT till next time when the schools are back.
When i do i will make sure to call in at the ferry tavern Comatosed, my kinda pub ;)

Top Bottom