Transatlantic Way _ Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Has anybody ridden TAW?

We may be able to ride some of it in the summer for a couple of weeks. We would like to know if we should start in the south and finish in Galway. Or Start in Galway and head North?

Which is most interesting/scenic?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
It’s all beautiful, but the southern end is more rugged. South to north for me, but be prepared for some early climbing around Beara and Iveragh peninsulas. Make sure you have good rain gear too.

Has anybody ridden TAW?

We may be able to ride some of it in the summer for a couple of weeks. We would like to know if we should start in the south and finish in Galway. Or Start in Galway and head North?

Which is most interesting/scenic?

Hi Steve,
Just to clarify, the "TransAtlantic Way" ( http://www.transatlanticway.com) is a race in June, starting in Dublin, going to Derry, then using the Wild Atlantic Way (tourist route) as a basis for the rest of the route.

I'm taking it that you're talking about the Wild Atlantic Way ( www.wildatlanticway.com/home/ ).

As an Irishman, I'd tell you to do the whole thing :-) Really it depends what you're in to. The southern coastline will be more rugged, more touristy and more populated. North of Galway can be rugged too, but less touristy and less populated. Of course, depending on the time you have and your inclination, there are plenty of places off route that could be interesting cycling too!

Starting in the south, Kinsale, Clonakilty, Baltimore, Kenmare, Dingle, Ballybunion are all popular tourist spots with some fantastic beaches and excellent food.

Further up, Doolin & Lisdoonvarna are famous for music. And there are the Cliffs of Moher.

Then you have Galway - a fabulous little city full of great pubs and good food.

North of Galway it becomes bleaker but no less beautiful. From here on, tourism is less developed, for some that's a good thing!
I think Donegal put the "Wild" in Wild Atlantic Way. It can be really spectacular!

So, to summarise, if you want the picture-postcard experience, do the southern part. If you want less frills do the northern section (But of course go back to do the other half another time ;-)

Frank

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would start in Galway and head north. Some stunningly beautiful riding with not a soul about. Make sure you do a loop of Achill Island.

Whatever you decide you will have great riding but the northern sections sang to my soul more directly. Sligo has some very distinct mountains and Donegal you will find yourself in remote wild valleys with many farms abandoned.

Derry is a great place to spend some time before heading home.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I believe @tyred has experience of the transatlantic way

There is much to recommend West Cork and parts of Kerry but I personally would go to Galway and head north.

How many days do you have to spend and what sort of daily mileage do you aim for?

The roads are quieter, most things are cheaper and less crowded and it would be taking you though some amazing scenery. The coastal route from Galway to Cliften city is about 85 miles and mostly very easy and would make a good day ride albeit not a hugely exciting one. It's from Clifden where it gets interesting around Killary Fjord, Leenaun and into Co. Mayo and through the Doolough Valley into Louisburgh, Murrisk at the base of Croagh Patrick and on into Westport is another straightforward dayride and stunning in it's beauty and you probably won't see anyone from leaving Cliften until you arrive in Westport. Westport has a great live music culture around most of the pubs.

From Westport you can cycle along a disused railway to Achill Island (there is a bridge so no ferry required). The path is about 25 miles and almost entirely off-road and the views across Clew Bay pretty amazing and also a lot of relics from the railway days if you are interested in that sort of thing. It is well worth spending a day riding around Achill. From there, continue along the Mayo coast towards Belmullet and Ceann Iorrais, which is the most sparsely populated part of the country. There is a beautiful little hostel in a village called Pullathomas. It is worth continuing along the coast there to Sligo. There is a small seaside town on the outskirts of Sligo called Strandhill with some huge sand dunes to explore and is probably worth the walk up Knocknarea Mountain. Strandhill also probably has the best live music bar in the country.

North of Sligo, it is worth venturing inland around the foothills of Benbulbin and Gleniff Horseshoe Valley. The terrain gets tough from there as but the Donegal coastline is well worth the effort. Most people skip it for some reason and I feel they're missing one of the best parts. Go to Glencolumbkille from Donegal Town, visit the ghost village of Port and up over the Glengesh Pass. There is some tough climbing in this area and continue along the coast through Dungloe and Kincasslash, Bloody Foreland, Gortahork Creeslough and around the Rosguil and Fanad peninsulas. At Fanad you will find supposedly the most photographed lighthouse in Europe. Continue along Lough Swilly over Knockalla, Rathmullan and Ramelton into Letterkenny.

There are nice parts in Inishowen too and you's be visiting the most northern point at Malin Head but I never found Inishowen nice to cycle as the roads are busy.

Bus Eireaann will happily take a full size bike on their bus (if there is room in the luggage hold, best do it out of peak times or try to be at the starting point of the service) for a €10 charge above the normal ticket costs if you want to pick and choose the parts you do. Private bus operaters on the inter city routes will probably do it for free.

Have a look through my blog if you like as it might give you ideas as I've covered most of the west coast by now - https://theoldbikeshome.wordpress.com/ and if you want to know anything, feel free to ask.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi Steve,
Just to clarify, the "TransAtlantic Way" ( http://www.transatlanticway.com) is a race in June, starting in Dublin, going to Derry, then using the Wild Atlantic Way (tourist route) as a basis for the rest of the route.

I'm taking it that you're talking about the Wild Atlantic Way ( www.wildatlanticway.com/home/ ).

As an Irishman, I'd tell you to do the whole thing :-) Really it depends what you're in to. The southern coastline will be more rugged, more touristy and more populated. North of Galway can be rugged too, but less touristy and less populated. Of course, depending on the time you have and your inclination, there are plenty of places off route that could be interesting cycling too!

Starting in the south, Kinsale, Clonakilty, Baltimore, Kenmare, Dingle, Ballybunion are all popular tourist spots with some fantastic beaches and excellent food.

Further up, Doolin & Lisdoonvarna are famous for music. And there are the Cliffs of Moher.

North of Galway it becomes bleaker but no less beautiful. From here on, tourism is less developed, for some that's a good thing!
I think Donegal put the "Wild" in Wild Atlantic Way. It can be really spectacular!

So, to summarise, if you want the picture-postcard experience, do the southern part. If you want less frills do the northern section (But of course go back to do the other half another time ;-)

Frank
Hi Steve,

Frank
Thanks for putting me right Frank. I was talking about the Wild Atlantic Way but I know people who are riding TAW this year. Thank you for your input as well.

Thanks Tyred. Your suggestion would mean we just need to get return flights to Dublin and that makes life easier.

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Sure if you dont do Kerry,you might as well not do it at all.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for putting me right Frank. I was talking about the Wild Atlantic Way but I know people who are riding TAW this year. Thank you for your input as well.

Thanks Tyred. Your suggestion would mean we just need to get return flights to Dublin and that makes life easier.
Why not Shannon or Ireland West(Knock), in place of Dublin?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The coastal route from Galway to Cliften city is about 85 miles and mostly very easy and would make a good day ride albeit not a hugely exciting one. It's from Clifden where it gets interesting...
All relative, I suppose. These were taken from the road heading westwards well before reaching Clifden (I'd been island-hopping that day on the Aran Islands so I hadn't ridden all the way from Galway). It was the most glorious evening imaginable in September 1990, the only downside being the need to keep moving to escape being eaten.

Connemara1.JPG

Connemara2.JPG

For what it's worth, I think I'd start at Cork or Kinsale with a view to completing the whole thing one day. I think south-north would be preferable, not least to get the sun behind you most of the time.

Whatever you do you'll make several people very envious.

tyred

Legendary Member
All relative, I suppose. These were taken from the road heading westwards well before reaching Clifden (I'd been island-hopping that day on the Aran Islands so I hadn't ridden all the way from Galway). It was the most glorious evening imaginable in September 1990, the only downside being the need to keep moving to escape being eaten.

View attachment 403833

View attachment 403834

For what it's worth, I think I'd start at Cork or Kinsale with a view to completing the whole thing one day. I think south-north would be preferable, not least to get the sun behind you most of the time.

Whatever you do you'll make several people very envious.

To be fair, I only did Cliften to Galway once in misty torrential downpour conditions so didn't see it at it's best.

As I live in the north, I've worked my way south as it seemed logical but I think the general advice other cyclists I've met along the way have told me that if you start in the south and head north you have the prevailing winds behind you, so that can be something to bear in mind too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
To be fair, I only did Cliften to Galway once in misty torrential downpour conditions so didn't see it at it's best.

As I live in the north, I've worked my way south as it seemed logical but I think the general advice other cyclists I've met along the way have told me that if you start in the south and head north you have the prevailing winds behind you, so that can be something to bear in mind too.

Do not believe that for a moment. Which ever way you go you will encounter the wind from all directions at some point. Especially on the headlands.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So judging by the replies. The best thing to do is start somewhere and finish somewhere. Where those points on the route are, doesnt really matter.

Do they have the same midgie problem as in Scotland?

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Midges are there but nowhere near as vicious. I also second the comment to run from south to north as the prevailing wind is SW. It will, as mentioned, be different around some of the headlands but generally it will be behind you.
Don't bank on sun and be prepared for rain.

Top Bottom