Transcontinental 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Best of luck Frank.
Bumped into Rimas last night which reminded me... for a route, plan the night before on BikeHike and not worry about anything :okay:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
All the best Frankie baby!!

frank9755

Cyclist
Best of luck Frank.
Bumped into Rimas last night which reminded me... for a route, plan the night before on BikeHike and not worry about anything :okay:

Ha Ha, I almost wish I was doing it that way! Route-planning has been a massive job over the last couple of months. Impossible to get it right as well. Switzerland is the worst - so many different roads and cycle paths and no maps give you all the info.

Some people have been out and done the Alpine passes and others have 'virtually ridden' ie viewed their entire routes on Streetview, as far as Bosnia, where it doesn't work any more. I've not done either of those but I've got one advantage though, which is that quite a bit of the first stage will use exactly the same roads as Uta and I rode on our honeymoon!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No doubt there will be another Watching That Emily Chappell thread this year... :smile:

I will be watching as she goes and hoping she gets round this time. But I have found at least another 3 UK ladies who are riding this year. There are also few Danes I will be watching.

I like to shout for the back markers, because I know that would be me. I am hoping they all get to the first check point. That's what I would be aiming for.

Huge respect to all those who line up on the start line on Friday night.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh no. Not another thing to waste my time tracking.

Hat duly doffed to all participants.

There's some serious competition, but the best name in the solo riders has got to be Socrates Solomides.
No offence Frank!
I'm sure he'll do his name proud!
My turn to add good, safe wishes for a splendid sortie to Istanbul, Frank.
I remember you thinking..."What's out there..?"
14wspwx.jpg

And, deciding that a 'pressure ride' was in the offing, you decided to embark on extra training...immediately!
20pvazt.jpg

I guess a couple of these might be handy too - given that 'young' Andy is also testing himself elsewhere. You make a fine couple of roll models.
2j5yiir.jpg

GOOD LUCK!

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks, 'Teef - I enjoyed that work-out on the penny farthing by the Eiffel Tower.
Amazing isn't it that, after all those years, they still haven't electrified the lifts...

I'm off to Belgium later today - by train to save my legs. I most likely won't get round to posting updates here during the race but will try to put some on Twitter (twitter.com/frank9755)

Here's a film, just released last night, about last year's race

View: https://vimeo.com/176424978

Last edited:
Top Bottom