Transcontinental 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Frank a couple of questions have come to mind. What were you using to charge your phone and Garmin on the move?

How did you all manage to get your bikes back from Turkey. I assume you flew them but where did you all get bike boxes from?

frank9755

Cyclist
I started with a Gomadic AA battery box and two rechargeable Lithium battery packs.

On the third day, I lost the micro-usb connector which allowed the AA box to charge my phone and Di2. So, thereafter, I mainly used the battery box, with a mini-usb connector which I had not lost, for my Garmin, and the battery packs for the other two gadgets. I also bought two more lithium packs that evening so that I had a bit more range. So, having everything fully charged at my last hotel in Bosnia, I was able to get to the finish 3 days later without needing to stay in a hotel again to re-charge.

I got a cardboard box from a local shop. Canakkale is a fairly big place with lots of shops selling bikes (a lot of the electrical shops do BSOs as a sideline) so I think everyone who wanted one got one. I put the bike in there with all my other stuff so I only had one piece of luggage.

Last edited:

frank9755

Cyclist
Lovely, sensitive writing, Frank. Was it the Medjugorje cross - lots of folk go for a pilgrimage there? Lourdes O'Bosnia...

Thanks - no, it wasn't that one - it was a bit more elaborate, and very shiny silver, glinting in the sun. And the service on the go, supervised by police, gave it a very odd feel. I need to do a good bit of googling to find out more about it. 'cross by the road in bosnia' just isn't cutting it!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nice one Frankie. You make it sound so matter of fact, it almost convinces me that I could do it...
...if I was 20 years younger
...techno aware
...30 years fitter

It may be indiscreet, so feel free to keep it to yourself, but do you have any idea of the monetary cost of the whole shebang to you personally?

frank9755

Cyclist
I've not added it up, but it wasn't an expensive holiday. Mike Hall's principle is to make it accessible. So, £200 entry fee. 2 weeks' accomodation - but half of that was free. One train and one flight. And quite a lot of food - maybe £20-30 per day. £100 mobile phone bill.
I spent a lot on gear beforehand but I didn't need it all and could have got by with stuff I already had.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've not added it up, but it wasn't an expensive holiday. Mike Hall's principle is to make it accessible. So, £200 entry fee. 2 weeks' accomodation - but half of that was free. One train and one flight. And quite a lot of food - maybe £20-30 per day. £100 mobile phone bill.
I spent a lot on gear beforehand but I didn't need it all and could have got by with stuff I already had.
It was well worth it, whatever the cost.

Top Bottom