Transcontinental 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's the next bit: meeting Greg on a big climb in Montenegro, a delightful trip through Kosovo, rough roads in Macedonia and rough dogs in Greece:

https://cyclingthere.wordpress.com/...ies-in-a-day-macedonian-roads-and-greek-dogs/
I can tell by the way you skip over things, things which I would fixate on, why you can do this (apart from the fitness). My blog would basically list the concerns playing on my mind, from where I was going to sleep, to which way I was going, to what food I needed and the niggles would build up, the tyre, the finger, the dogs and most of all, whether I was going to make it and every time I struggled, that one would rise to the top and start telling me about possible ways out. I would never be far from capitulation.

This is why it's so informative to read your blog. It says, without actually saying it, the mindset you need to be a long distance cyclist and to complete such a challenge, being fit is probably only half the battle. Fascinating reading.

Last edited:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Frank, you really should follow Andy Allsopp's example and publish this as a print book, your writing is so engaging and entertaining. I'd buy it.
all very well buying @arallsopp 's book, but you have to be reading it when he calls by on the offchance.

I'd do the trip - but, like Adam, over a longer time. I can't think of a more romantic journey. Frank - would you go over the same ground at a slower pace?

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks everyone - very kind. Especially @User13710 as I realise she has probably read more books in a professional capacity than most of us

@dellzeqq For me it was a great adventure, almost like a chance to enact a fantasy. I loved the racing element to it and doing it in competition with others gave it an extra edge. The night riding was fun - althought it was a shame to miss the views - and I enjoyed camping out in weird places. I got a buzz from stripping away and breaking a lot of the 'rules' that conspire to constrain us - even little things like you must clean your teeth every night or have clean shorts every morning - seeing how little I really needed

But it's certainly not for everyone. Riding the route as a tour would be very different but would also be fun. It would be great to be able to do things that I didn't have time to do - like stop off to see things or eat a meal with cutlery.

The route would obviously have to be changed. Mine was designed - not always successfully - only for speed. Some roads turned out to be great touring routes anyway (such as Burgundy, inland Croatia, northern Bosnia) but I'd take out bits like the N7 in France or the flat main road across northern Italy.

I'm not sure how the former-Yugoslav countries would be for touring as cars do pass a bit closer than we are comfortable with. I did think as I was riding across Bosnia nearer to Sarajevo that it was fine for me on my own but that I wouldn't want to take Uta on that road. And I don't think I'd advise anyone to go on a tour through Greece in August: from about 10am - 4pm it was hot as hell. But I was lucky, as the whole Balkans could have been like that as, apparently it was last year.

U

User169

Saw a chap in town today with a TCN PedalEd cap. His bike was well Apidurared up, so wondered whether he'd ridden it.

Couldn't stop, but little bloke, blond hair, quite a lot of tattoos. Sporting a natty pair of the brown Giro Empires. Any ideas as to who he is?

frank9755

Cyclist
Saw a chap in town today with a TCN PedalEd cap. His bike was well Apidurared up, so wondered whether he'd ridden it.
Couldn't stop, but little bloke, blond hair, quite a lot of tattoos. Sporting a natty pair of the brown Giro Empires. Any ideas as to who he is?

Afraid not - quite a few could fit that description!

iLB

Hello there
The rumour seems to be that it will start in Geraardsbergen again but not go to Turkey. Romania is thought a probable alternative, with a finish on the Black Sea and taking in the Transfagarasan pass. But, who knows - official results from this one are not out yet so it's early days.

Romania would be perfect.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for your write up Frank. I have enjoyed reading them and they are a good insight as to what is needed. Have you considered going again next year?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Just read all the episodes in one sitting. :thumbsup: Excellent write-up, with just enough of everything - travelogue, technical, personal etc to maintain interest ... well, not just maintain, want to devour and move on. :biggrin:

Amazing journey, amazing people who do it. :notworthy:

Top Bottom