Transcontinental Race 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@CrinklyUncle has scratched, in Austria northbound.

I'm incredibly proud of quite how unbelievably far beyond his comfort zone he has pushed himself. It's about 8 years since he came out on his first (another) forum ride - a 30odd mile night ride from the rally in York, led by my EldestCub who at the time would have been about 9, which my sister rode on a hand-me-down shopper bike and her (then) FWHTBAB (friend who happens to be a boy) rode on his slick-shod hardtail. A better bike and some mild audaxing followed, then a road bike and more audaxing leading to a heroic ride around the 2013 LEL, finishing with a handful of minutes in hand. Illness during the qualifiers put paid to hopes for PBP 2015, but he came back for LEL 2017 (a married man by then!) and made it look almost easy - even quite like fun.

TCR is a whole new level of hard. No cosy controls with volunteers to mollycoddle you every few hours, riding through multiple countries (often in one day) and a distance roughly equivalent to one and a half LELs before you even get to the turn in Poland and start riding south towards the end. Not to mention the elevations.

I _think_ that, apart from a little tourist bimble round Paris with my l'il sis, his nephews and me, this _might_ have been the first time he ever rode a bike overseas. I reckon that's quite an impressive way to try it out.

Trickedem

Guru
@iZaP lost his wallet today. However he got some money sent by Western Union and is now back on the road. Go Arnoldas!!

Tremendous achievement by 'Arnie'. Look back to 2011 when irritated members of This Forum ventured forth to the threat of seagull poo on their saddles in the Hastings Republican Ride. A good workout for the legs, with an undulating, sometimes narrow voyage toward breakfast on the sea (I can't see a f'ing café anywhere) front. I think it was that bloke William with...Kate? Tempus fugit.
Well Done Arnoldas - 60+ kms is a 'shoe in' for you.
i6h8br.jpg

iZaP

Über Member
Tremendous achievement by 'Arnie'. Look back to 2011 when irritated members of This Forum ventured forth to the threat of seagull poo on their saddles in the Hastings Republican Ride. A good workout for the legs, with an undulating, sometimes narrow voyage toward breakfast on the sea (I can't see a f'ing café anywhere) front. I think it was that bloke William with...Kate? Tempus fugit.
Well Done Arnoldas - 60+ kms is a 'shoe in' for you.
View attachment 424530

Haha! this is actually my cousin!!

222086_10150188766120209_4183410_n.jpg

222086_10150188766125209_4052701_n.jpg

This was my first CC ride ^

If it wasn't for cyclechat, I would have probably not done many long distance rides...

At that time I was riding with simple trainers and SPD-SL pedals! Then a kind member, I believe it was Ross, who donated me his old shoes, which I used a lot!

This was by far the hardest ride I have done, but certainly not the last long one!

Thank you all for support during all the times I've ridden with you guys, especially @Trickedem and @steveindenmark who kept commenting on my statuses via FB and Twitter!

I have learned most of the craft from this forum!

This is the ride on my strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1780159389

Top Bottom