Transcontinental Race - Heads up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Screenshot_20190806-072725.png

A bit before 7am our time, having apparently ridden 200km or so overnight.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I thought she'd do it that way…for all the front runners at this stage, taking a lengthy break overnight would mean potentially losing a place, or losing out on taking one. Not surprised she was finally feeling the strain, that must have been the hardest stretch of all. A remarkable achievement. Now, apparently, for PBP as a warm-down…

Ivo

I do feel a bit of friction though between the English and French cycling culture. For French cyclists it's quite normal to cycle out to meet a lone intrepid rider and acompany him/her. According to the ethics of the TCR, more based on UK point-to-point timetrials, this is frowned upon. I do have some doubts if the TCR will have another finish in France due to this.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I doubt if the TCR will run from East to West again It is only my opinion.

Having people come out and cheer the riders on is one thing. But maybe the riders want to ride alone. That is the whole premis of the TCR. Fiona must have been exhausted and it must be hard fending people off for 1500km.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Will you enter again next year @steveindenmark having now learnt how hot it really is in the east?
The rookie mistake I made was riding up a 30km mountain in the hottest part of the day. Another rider measured it at 44 degrees
I should have stopped, had something to eat and carry on late afternoon.
I dont know if I would go again as a rider. But certainly as a volunteer.

It takes up an awful lot of time away from the family. Its also expensive. £300 entry for TCR, £380 for Pan Celtic
Then you have flights, equipment accomodation on top of that.

I think Lejog or Camino de Santiago could be the aim for Jannie and myself next year.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Early onset of Shermer's neck for Frank
Its a very common thing and quite difficult to get rid of, unfortunately.

My friend, Jurgen Knupe got it in TCR last year and had to scratch. He got it again in the 3 peaks race recently when he was in second place and had to scratch.

He does a lot of his training in Italy and the mileage and climbing he has done this year has been stunning. He was well prepared. But he still got effected.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Dotwatching continues. The last riders are still making their way to the finish (even when controls close, the stamps are still there, and they'll still get counted as finishers, just not in the GC). About a dozen or so have or will reach Brest this weekend, which will leave the Belgian pair, Els and Marie-Lou, who are still steadily plugging away and have about 876km to go.

frank9755

Cyclist
One of the highlights that I haven't mentioned so far was bumping into @des.o, who was volunteering at cp2. For those who don't know him, Des was an fnrttc regular about a decade ago. One of his most memorable comments, which I always recall when tempted to boast of cycling adventures and I expect is true, was that people who don't cycle aren't impressed if you say you've ridden more than about 70 miles, they just think you're weird!

Unfortunately I rather had my racing head on and was determined to ride another 100km that evening to help me make up a few lost places, so I only stayed for 10 minutes to chat, but it was a great pleasure and I only wish I'd had an hour.

Top Bottom