Transcontinental Race - Heads up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of the highlights that I haven't mentioned so far was bumping into @des.o, who was volunteering at cp2. For those who don't know him, Des was an fnrttc regular about a decade ago. One of his most memorable comments, which I always recall when tempted to boast of cycling adventures and I expect is true, was that people who don't cycle aren't impressed if you say you've ridden more than about 70 miles, they just think you're weird!

Unfortunately I rather had my racing head on and was determined to ride another 100km that evening to help me make up a few lost places, so I only stayed for 10 minutes to chat, but it was a great pleasure and I only wish I'd had an hour.
Last time I saw Des was on one of Look Mums Great Escape rides a couple of years back. Good to hear he's well.

frank9755

Cyclist
Last time I saw Des was on one of Look Mums Great Escape rides a couple of years back. Good to hear he's well.

Yes, he was on good form.

I did bump into him last year on the way to the start of the Westerley audax in Ruislip earlier this year, but his gang jumped into a McDonalds, while I was rushing for the earlier start, so was a similarly brief meeting.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Dotwatching news: One more finisher as I type this (well, tracker shows him 100m from the finish!), no 215 has about 57km to go, and that leaves Els & Marie-Lou out on the road, with about 560km to go.

des.o

Veteran
Hey Frank very good to see you - completely understood you were in race mode and keen to get rolling. Always keep an eye on dots I've met before and was disappointed to see the Shermer's scatch - same thing happened to another rider i know. Hadn't realised that you'd had a crash as well - Doug came in later that night and was asking about you. A fantastic event and across the broad field of riders epitomises most of the things I love about cycling. Really enjoying the sterling efforts of pair 250 at the moment. I need to pluck up the courage to enter...

Good call Ian - it was the Great escape. I missed it this year for the first time, but always keep an eye out for you guys. Still keep up with the fnrttc threads and often think about popping out for a spin, but I've been organising a Saturday ride for the last few years and like to keep that regular. Not sure that I'd know anyone anymore. One day though, if i see a flurry of familiar names signing up... Given how long it takes me to get my sleep back on track after Dunwich each year I often wonder how I managed to fit in those regular Friday nighters.

U

User169

Yes, he was on good form.

I did bump into him last year on the way to the start of the Westerley audax in Ruislip earlier this year, but his gang jumped into a McDonalds, while I was rushing for the earlier start, so was a similarly brief meeting.

Hi Frank - it looked from a picture I saw of your setup that you went with flat pedals. How did that work out for you and what shoes did you wear?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Still keep up with the fnrttc threads and often think about popping out for a spin, but I've been organising a Saturday ride for the last few years and like to keep that regular. Not sure that I'd know anyone anymore. One day though, if i see a flurry of familiar names signing up...
Yes, you'd know people! :smile: Would be good to see you back some time!

frank9755

Cyclist
Hi Frank - it looked from a picture I saw of your setup that you went with flat pedals. How did that work out for you and what shoes did you wear?

It was great in that I didn't have the knee, ankle or achilles niggles that I'd had on previous long rides.
Shoes were Innov-8 trail running shoes, chosen for zero heel drop. They weren't perfect, would have liked something slightly stiffer, but with specialized insoles they were stiff enough for what I needed. I'll keep using the pedals but may try some different shoes. TBH I don't think clipping in is helpful unless you are racing or doing high cadence over rough ground.

frank9755

Cyclist
Hey Frank very good to see you - completely understood you were in race mode and keen to get rolling. Always keep an eye on dots I've met before and was disappointed to see the Shermer's scatch - same thing happened to another rider i know. Hadn't realised that you'd had a crash as well - Doug came in later that night and was asking about you. A fantastic event and across the broad field of riders epitomises most of the things I love about cycling. Really enjoying the sterling efforts of pair 250 at the moment. I need to pluck up the courage to enter...

Yes, the crash was why I had lost a bunch of time and was right down the field. Really stupid, put my front wheel in a hole on a farm track 90 minutes in. Rushing when I didn't need to. Over the bars and hit my shoulder hard, snapped off my Di2 bar end shifters (front one completely, back one I could salvage with lots of tape). Was very lucky not to break something and / or smash up the bike. TBH probably the worst fall I've ever had off a bike; I've never had a particularly bad one.

It meant I was down the field a bit but the upside was that I got to chat to people like Doug. I rode with him for maybe half an hour on a country lane. That was quite handy as, after you have smashed yourself up a bit, an emergency doctor is just who you want to bump in to!

I did my 100km that night by 10pm, then had a good three and a half days. Don't know where I got up to in the field but I passed the guy who had been in 60th place at CP2 so I was making some progress! Victim of my own success though, had chosen a really flat and fast route, spent all my time in the aerobars, and my neck wasn't up to it. It was early stages so I could have gone on but it would have got worse and worse, and I didn't fancy the descents in the Alps, which would have started the next morning.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, the crash was why I had lost a bunch of time and was right down the field. Really stupid, put my front wheel in a hole on a farm track 90 minutes in. Rushing when I didn't need to. Over the bars and hit my shoulder hard, snapped off my Di2 bar end shifters (front one completely, back one I could salvage with lots of tape). Was very lucky not to break something and / or smash up the bike. TBH probably the worst fall I've ever had off a bike; I've never had a particularly bad one.

It meant I was down the field a bit but the upside was that I got to chat to people like Doug. I rode with him for maybe half an hour on a country lane. That was quite handy as, after you have smashed yourself up a bit, an emergency doctor is just who you want to bump in to!

I did my 100km that night by 10pm, then had a good three and a half days. Don't know where I got up to in the field but I passed the guy who had been in 60th place at CP2 so I was making some progress! Victim of my own success though, had chosen a really flat and fast route, spent all my time in the aerobars, and my neck wasn't up to it. It was early stages so I could have gone on but it would have got worse and worse, and I didn't fancy the descents in the Alps, which would have started the next morning.
Young bloke like you, has time on your side Frank! I still fondly recall you having a brass neck problem years ago when you nicked my antique champagne flutes.
Nice to hear you're fit and well @des.o and thanks for Neil Maupay!

Top Bottom