Transgender Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
On your CC profile you say you are male.
Do you want a new category on here too?
Which public toilets do you use? If you use female then put female as your gender on strava. Or vice versa.

MikeG

Guru
Isn't this perhaps the ultimate first world problem?.......

No.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
On your CC profile you say you are male.
Do you want a new category on here too?
Which public toilets do you use? If you use female then put female as your gender on strava. Or vice versa.
I don't use public loos, only ever go out on the bike and at the moment thats not often. There is no competition on CC, so its largely irrelevant, I can't remember the sign up details on here, but is gender actually needed for anything.

DRM

Guru
For me strava is just a tool to record the details of a ride, the only categories I am bothered about is differentiating whether im on my winter bike (a heavy carrera) MTB, or best road bike (light & fast) all im bothered about is have I improved my times on various segments, or just generally better than last time, there are people of both genders slower than me, and alot who are much faster, just enjoy riding your bike and getting outdoors.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@DRM I have my own designed database which for averages and totals knocks strava into a cocked hat, elevation, distance, hr cad ect, summed/average by week, month year, a rolling 7,30,90,180 day and year, quarterly and half yearly. It also shows average time that I rode at that is what time I set off, bike costs current components in use a few other things as well.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Probably best just to use Strava against your own times or times of those you follow & you can compare. Trying to compare with others is pretty pointless, you don't know conditions, solo or group ride, maybe even racing? Although it is always nice to get a KOM or QOM.
Hopefully Strava will become aware of the situation & many others are in and do something to suit :blush:
Top Kudos on the ride from Dewsbury to London & back, that's one hell of a ride. I'm hoping to do a 200+ mile ride this year, but not sure I'm upto it yet.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's someone's profession, which matters.
Strava, I would contend, doesn't.
I once described a sportive as a pretend race for pretend racers. Strava isn't even as important as that. Frankly, I'd have thought the OP has more important things to be bothered about.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Things are not a problem unless they effect you (generally), so I don't effect you, so to you I am not a problem.
You're not a problem to me either :hugs:
I wouldn't overthink this Strava stuff, it's not like it measures scientifically sports achievements by professionals.
There are so many variables on Strava: age, weight, bike, terrain, fitness, time of day you do a ride. Plenty of cheating also going on no doubt.
The very rare QOM I get are promptly taken by others, most of them I actually know in person. Strava does not say they are at least 25 years younger than me, on a road bike (while I usually carry the kitchen sink), 4 stone lighter!
Put yourself wherever you feel you belong, and enjoy the ride.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I don't use public loos, only ever go out on the bike and at the moment thats not often. There is no competition on CC, so its largely irrelevant, I can't remember the sign up details on here, but is gender actually needed for anything.
No, you don't need to add your gender at all. There are three options - male, female and unspecified.
I think the only time this shows up is if you don't include a picture to use as your avatar, then the software gives you a male/female symbol or a question mark.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
No, you don't need to add your gender at all. There are three options - male, female and unspecified.
I think the only time this shows up is if you don't include a picture to use as your avatar, then the software gives you a male/female symbol or a question mark.
It is few years since I joined CC, and I am still waiting on a referral that must be three years+ now. What I do on strava has as been mentioned to compare those that had similar times to me when I first started and see how we currently do, this is for both genders.

DRM

Guru
@DRM I have my own designed database which for averages and totals knocks strava into a cocked hat, elevation, distance, hr cad ect, summed/average by week, month year, a rolling 7,30,90,180 day and year, quarterly and half yearly. It also shows average time that I rode at that is what time I set off, bike costs current components in use a few other things as well.

Sounds good, I wouldn't know where to start doing that, mind you have I kids for computer tech stuff, last time I tried to get a spreadsheet to do something it wouldn't cooperate so I gave up :blush:

Katherine

Guru
Then you should put in all your profiles however you want to be known as, on here, on strava and anywhere else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom