Transmission options.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's the treadle option that appears every now and again.
Legs & feet basically going up & down all the time.
Last one seen had the drive system fitted to both sides. Short chain over the rear freewheels, with a spring to pull it back.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not eliminate the pedal/rear wheel transmission system completely? 100% efficiency. Been done before, no chain, no belt, no shaft.
870.jpg

I have tried a recumbent that has a Rohloff hub and enclosed chain casing, a Flevobike green machine. Very good, very pricey.
There's a tandem version available.

Penny Farthing Tandem.jpg

jack smith

Veteran
E
I do not get chain gunge on my clothes, why should you.
everyone rides differently and is different just because you dint get oil on your leg dosent mean others dont. I do and i use muc off wet lube on a pristine chain with fixed cleats its just one of those things

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
There's the treadle option that appears every now and again.
Legs & feet basically going up & down all the time.
Last one seen had the drive system fitted to both sides. Short chain over the rear freewheels, with a spring to pull it back.
Here a picture of one, courtesy Australian Cycling forums
Alenax1-1.jpg

and one from Sheldon Brown
alenax1.jpg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Clean trousers and not needing to worry about a flapping hem going into the teeth = always good. I like the chainglider on my Ute bike, hub gear Cannondale, and would like something similar for the Brompton but the up and under chain fold kind of scuppers anything enclosing the chain. I toyed with the idea of a belt drive when thinking about giving my Birdy a major overhaul and totally hubbing the dualdrive rear end but not many places I mooted the idea with were keen on belt drive. The odd ones I've seen look ok and I'd love that level of fit and forget drivetrain and it is in my mind to seriously consider belt drive next time I'm on for a new n+1.

Chains do have the advantage of needing nothing more than a spare link to get you going again in the event of a major failure. I guess a belt failing or shaft component breaking 20 miles from home would cause a lot more inconvenience

Shaft drives generally hmmm, too many fiddly bits and moving connections for my lazy not the best fettler sensibilities on the road or at home.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm forever getting chain oil on my clothes . Only this morning I put my best dress on to go to church and wouldn't you know it but only five minutes down the road and I had oil on it . I got myself in such a fuss over it the closer I got to church and just as I pulled up outside the hem got caught in the chain and ripped that dress clean off me . In front of the vicar I might add .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When I was a gentleman rider on my Pashley Roadster Sovereign, I found the fully enclosed chain cover and rear wheel coat guard entirely prevented contact with anything oily or dirty. Drive was five speed Sturmey-Archer which constrained my hill climbing ability. On occasions I was obliged to loosen my tie a little to avoid unseemly perspiration.
Everyone who's ever enjoyed a regal upright knows what you mean, is grinning stupidly at the memory of the feeling and wondering what you mean "when I was" - why would you ever give it up? :laugh:

I never worry if I get a bit of lube on my leg. As I return from every ride covered in snot, phlegm, urine and with a brown streak up the middle of my shorts why should I worry about a drop of oil?

And if the above doesn't apply to you, man up because you're not riding hard enough :cursing:
Vomit. You forgot vomit. You can't be riding hard enough.

Top Bottom