Transporting carbon bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Just taken delivery of my first carbon road bike and have heard conflicting reports about transporting in car. No problems when on own as will stick in back of car how ever have heard that not particularly safe to use roof rack when transporting more than one bike.

Am I being daft or are there issues.

OP
OP
Stockie

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Just taken delivery of my first carbon road bike and have heard conflicting reports about transporting in car. No problems when on own as will stick in back of car how ever have heard that not particularly safe to use roof rack when transporting more than one bike.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mate of my son in law drove under a height restriction barrier with his 8.5k spesh S works on the roof...insurance paid out over 6k so still a big hit ,no pun intended. So yes it can be dodgy...:whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Better tell that to the pro teams, they carry half a dozen on their racks.

ayceejay

Guru
I have found the best solution is to leave the frame in the box it came in and just cut a hole for the seat post and stem, if you just cut the bottom of the box open for the wheels to stick out you are guaranteed to protect your bike from the elements but check now and then for insects.

Mate of my son in law drove under a height restriction barrier with his 8.5k spesh S works on the roof...insurance paid out over 6k so still a big hit ,no pun intended. So yes it can be dodgy...:whistle:
:cry::cry: I would have been inconsolable

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Heres some information from Thule
Also they don't recommend their frame clamped carriers for carbon bikes, but the ones that hold the bike by the fork dropouts - Thule 561 for example (other makes are available)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Here's more ..... on the other hand I know lots of people who use the Thule 591 with carbon bikes and I've not heard anyone complain of a damaged frame. I think I would play safe and use the fork-clamp carrier. I have both sorts, but I usually carry the carbon bike in the back of the (estate) car anyway.

Top Bottom