Transporting Carbon Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
was going to ask a similar question!

i asked in my LBS about it at the weekend and the opinions were split - 2 guys said it would be okay to continue using my thule freeride with the clamping to the frame, just to be careful i dont overtighten then the other guy said he wouldnt do it and instead takes the bike inside the car if possible.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would never put my valuable bike on the roof or the boot for it to be stolen or damaged or covered in road salt. I see blokes driving around in empty saloons and even estates with bikes on display like trophies and wonder why they can't dismantle them and put them inside. We can fit 3 of us and our 3 bikes dismantled inside our estate with loads of spare room for other luggage.

However with a car full of luggage and people I can see that you might need to take the risky route and use a rack. I wouldn't have any concerns about clamping a carbon frame as long as the clamp was reasonably even all round and not just squeezing from both sides. Carbon's stronger than you think, even in compression and the bike doesn't carry much intertia. It's more likely to get damaged by hitting a low barrier if you ask me.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
having seen four carbon bikes hit one of those bars they put at car park entrances to restrict the height of vehicles...

I've put carbon bikes on the rack of the back of the car. I'd rather not have done, but no harm came of it. If you're worried about it why not cut out a bit of plastic milk 'bottle' and wrap it round the frame?

OP
OP
therams

therams

No chance of getting the bike in the car, with wife and kids. There is hardly any room for me, so on the roof it has to be!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Then wrap the downtube in something squashy but firm like a piece of foam pipe insulation or camping mat to spread the load.

dodgy

Rigid Raider said:
I would never put my valuable bike on the roof or the boot for it to be stolen or damaged or covered in road salt. I see blokes driving around in empty saloons and even estates with bikes on display like trophies and wonder why they can't dismantle them and put them inside. We can fit 3 of us and our 3 bikes dismantled inside our estate with loads of spare room for other luggage.

However with a car full of luggage and people I can see that you might need to take the risky route and use a rack. I wouldn't have any concerns about clamping a carbon frame as long as the clamp was reasonably even all round and not just squeezing from both sides. Carbon's stronger than you think, even in compression and the bike doesn't carry much intertia. It's more likely to get damaged by hitting a low barrier if you ask me.

My thoughts entirely, I ride to Llandegla quite often on the road bike and it's amazing how many cars turn up with just a driver and one bike on the roof.

My bike always goes inside.

Chrisz

Über Member
Blimey!!!

Are we talking about the same carbon fibre that they make space shuttles, sports cars, F1 cars etc. out of? I never knew it was such a delicate and brittle material!!!

FFS guys, MTFU! You can treat it the same way you would do any other expensive frame. Yes, it has thicker tubes so you might need to be a little less ham-fisted when clamping. You might also need to try and prevent pressure points when clamping an oddly profiled tube.

Mine goes in the boot of my car - a) because I don't have a roof rack and :becool: because I would never put any bike on a roof rack unless I absolutely had to.

I pamper mine a little in that I protect it from scratches, rubs etc, in the same way I did my last (alloy) frame but, at the end of the day, it's made from pretty tough stuff!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
therams

therams

OK, good points!:becool:

But does anybody actually put there carbon bike on a roof rack? Or do we all have loads of space in the boot?

donkey

I have always carried my bikes on the roof for the last 15 years with no damage or problems of any sort but i use a rack that you need to remove the front wheel and clamp the forks in place with a skewer and carry the wheel on a dummy pair of forks clamped to the roof bars.This type of rack avoids the need to clamp the frame and avoid potential problems of frame damage.

Top Bottom