Travelling to the US without medical insurance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
errrr totally.

Yes! (Just entering an hospital will cost you hundreds, any care thousands!)

On the other hand, when I was younger and quite possibly more foolish and lived closer to the US, I often crossed the border without it.

To a degree, it might depend on how long you are going for an what you are doing. If you are going for a weekend doing some shopping, maybe not; if you are going for a 2 month bike ride or mountaineering, maybe.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Many years ago we went to Canada,one of our party on the trip,was quoted $500 for a Doctor consultation and some pills for a panic attack,she could not afford it.For the sake of a few hundred quid it's not worth it.Get some.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
US travel insurance is not expensive. Silly not to.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes because if anything happens you would be left to die, they wont treat you. Its not fair to put your family through all the greif it would cause.
When I last went to the USA it was about £24.00 for 8 days.

That's simply not true.
No one will let you die. They will treat you, at a public/welfare hospital rather then a private one but will still bill you.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having a pre-existing problem it has just cost me £80 for a 2 week cover in Menorca. I would not even think about going without insurance. You may/probably will get away with it..............but what if ????

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
For about £50 you can potentially be covered.

I just did a quote for a 30-40 year old, staying for a month in the states....on Post Office website

Took 30 seconds

Look at the cover for medical....

You'd be repatriated (check with policy)
postpffice.png

Top Bottom