Tree removal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
threebikesmcginty said:
Has anyone done the 'I was a tree surgeon but had to give it up as I couldn't stand the sight of sap' gag yet? :laugh:

Not yet!
No-one's mentioned the Irish firm yet either, there were these tree fellers....:laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
threebikesmcginty said:
Has anyone done the 'I was a tree surgeon but had to give it up as I couldn't stand the sight of sap' gag yet? :biggrin:

Thankfully, no :laugh::laugh:

Make sure there are no tree preservation orders, or conservation area wotsits (to use a technical term). About 10 yrs ago, when I lived in Laaaahhhnnnnndon I removed 3 conifers from our back garden with my brother's help... hired chainsaw, used ladder and basically worked from the top down. It was quite fun, really :biggrin: I didn't remove the stump/roots though, as I couldn't be bothered :smile: and it wasn't important to do so. Heard about the idea of preservation orders from my neighbour after the event... he wasn't miffed though, it was him that first suggested cutting them down, as they were shading his garden quite a bit.

nigelb

If you are doing one by hand, and want the stump out, then its useful if you can leave as much of the tree intact as possible, while you start digging out/cutting roots.

That way, the weight of the tree remaining helps leverage the stump.

Obviously, have a thought for where the tree is going to fall, as its almost never going to be the way you want it to!

I've spent days getting stumps out that were cut 1' above ground level, but then got a whole confier out in 1/2 a day, stump and all, when it hadn't been "pruned".

Nige

ChrisKH

Guru
Talking of trees and apologies for hijacking, we have 5-7 mature leylandi growing up against the fence in our neighbours garden which must be 30 feet + tall. Haven't been too bothered about them as we have hardly any windows on that side of the house.

Anyhoo, the concrete in the surrounding pathways just on this side of the house is starting to crack - could the trees be responsible as they are immediately adjacent to the paths (and my house, more worryingly).

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes. Get them cut down. Have you had the blocked drains problem yet? The roots will get into your drains if they're anywhere near.

ChrisKH

Guru
Globalti said:
Yes. Get them cut down. Have you had the blocked drains problem yet? The roots will get into your drains if they're anywhere near.

Mmmnnn. Yes there are drains nearby as well. Yes there have been drain problems we thought it was a blockage (which it was, just not the blockage we thought)........thing is, as I say, the trees aren't in my garden. So i've sorted out one side of the house (verge of legal action and they finally replaced the wall) now I've got the other side. :becool:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Maz said:
Hi

Anyone used the services of a tree surgeon before? I need to get rid of some conifers (these trees must be about 30ft tall, I reckon). How much was it per tree?

Thanks

We covered this recently on another thread, but leave the work until Autumn to protect any nesting birds that might be in the trees. Any half decent tree surgeon would'nt touch them anyway until then.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ghost Donkey said:
Hi Maz, I had a large-ish conifer removed in Wigston in Leciester (your posts say Leicester) about two years ago by a local company. I had a couple of quotes done and they were around the same. I'm pretty certain I paid £120 for the work The people I used were highly recommended by colleagues. When I rang them to accept the quote they happened to be doing big job a few streets away the next day and came around and did my tree (large conifer) first thing in the morning. If you don't know any/many local tree surgeons for quotes I can pm their contact details for you if you like.
I live next door in Oadby. I go through Wigston every day on my commute.
Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if need be.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maz said:
I live next door in Oadby. I go through Wigston every day on my commute.
Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if need be.

Eee, I once went out with a girl from Oadby. She had a really scary granny, who was a gypsy. But lived in a house. But used to live in a caravan. She shouted a lot. The granny, that is. ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Fnaar said:
Eee, I once went out with a girl from Oadby. She had a really scary granny, who was a gypsy. But lived in a house. But used to live in a caravan. She shouted a lot. The granny, that is. :biggrin:

Was she in the Greens?;)

thomas

the tank engine
Uncle Mort said:
If you can, do the stump grinding yourself - you can get them from hire centres. You get to use a noisy, violent, potentially lethal machine that rips solid stumps to shreds to a depth of 50cm in minutes! :smile:

A dad's mate lost his foot using one....and he was a professional. So use with care.

Top Bottom