Trek 5200 Snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papereyes

Brought my Trek 5200 in April 07 and was riding downhill on Monday.
taking a corner when the frame literally snapped and sent me flying.

Evans sent back to trek today, so hopefully will be able to get a replacement frame from it.

two questions really:
1: Wondering if anyone else experienced anything like this?
2: What do you guys think? how could this happen?

for me personally its a defect with the bike.
View attachment 88
View attachment 89

domtyler

Über Member
Personally I would try and sue. Were you injured at all?

OP
OP
P

papereyes

thanks Dom

loads of scratches and cuts on my body, luckily no broken bones. Just getting over the whiplash at the moment.

Hopefully trek will replace the bike entirely.

Tim Bennet

The Trek 5200 frame has been around for some time and has sold by the tens of thousands. It was (and IIRC, still is) made by assembling cut tubes with epoxy fillets akin to traditional frame building. Although this is nowhere near as elegant or strong a method a method of construction as monocoque, it has produced a reliable frame at a reasonble cost over the past 10 (?) years. The more common trek carbon 'failure' is usually limited to the aluminium insert in either the head tube or bottom bracket shell coming loose.

By what I can see in your pictures, it would seem there was a failure of the fillet bond onto the head tube. If there was no abuse, then this would almost certainly be due to a manufacturing fault.

There is no question of them not replacing the frame, but they may also be more than willing to cover any consequential losses you might have incurred, as this sort of event is not good for their brand image. (Torn shorts or more.)

Membrane

Ouch, that sounds and looks nasty. Personally unless an explanation can be found (previous damage done or manufacturing defect) I wouldn't want to ride the same model frame again. Hope you're ok (and welcome to the forum).

OP
OP
P

papereyes

hi thanks for the warm welcome

to be honest hoping for the new trek madone but fingers crossed lets see what happens... definetly don't want the same frame again.

WHERE THERE'S BLAME THERE'S A CLAIM!!!!!! papereyes you have evans and trek by the short and curlys only you can now f**k it up when demanding a better bike, stick to your guns!

OP
OP
P

papereyes

waiting to see what evans/trek say.

personally going to ask for complete new madone bike.

if i get any troubles i'll let you guys know.

yenrod

Small frames with a short headtube have this prob.

Its over-heated in the welding process - simply.

You should easily get a new frame as its clearly failed ! Hands down...

No questions asked; you should get a replacement with no problems.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
yenrod said:
Small frames with a short headtube have this prob.

Its over-heated in the welding process - simply.

You should easily get a new frame as its clearly failed ! Hands down...

No questions asked; you should get a replacement with no problems.

Welding? That looks like carbon to me.

OP
OP
P

papereyes

TheDoctor its an all carbon frame...

You guys think Madon 5.2 pro is going to be an equivalent model?
or higher?

gavintc

Guru
It is pictures like this that pop into my head when descending fast on a twisty road. Horrible, horrible scenario. I do hope you were not too badly hurt in the process. Sh1t, that picture worries me. You really need to lay into them, with regard to the replacement. You have an excellent case for demanding more than just a like for like. They could be paying for hospital care, damages etc etc. I feel for you. I hope it has not affected your confidence too much.

Top Bottom