Trek 6500 ZX Rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bruck

Hey folks. I’m considering a rebuild of my 2000 Trek 6500ZX. Respectfully I am not looking for the following:

It’s too old
It’s too expensive
It’s not worth it.

This is more a labor of love and interest in learning than a shrewd financial transaction. I am totally new to disc brakes. I know that you need to have the posts, but that is about it. Can you tell me if my fork and most importantly frame are disc ready? I believe that those are the posts for the rotors. Of course I realize that I need/get to get new wheels, etc.

Thanks and excited.

Attachments

• 81D604B4-B21B-4DEC-9BA6-7AA1FFFE8732.jpeg
    81D604B4-B21B-4DEC-9BA6-7AA1FFFE8732.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 50856C69-B071-4ABD-A071-13C2E4894762.jpeg
    50856C69-B071-4ABD-A071-13C2E4894762.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 75

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Certainly look like mounts for discs. You might need an adapter. You could just get new disc hubs to lace on to the existing rims.
Shouldn't be too expensive using cable activated callipers.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Bruck

Bruck

Certainly look like mounts for discs. You might need an adapter. You could just get new disc hubs to lace on to the existing rims.
Shouldn't be too expensive using cable activated callipers.
Thanks man. I realize this is a vanity project, but honestly I want to do it myself.

si_c

Guru
The rear is a Hayes 22mm direct mount for sure, not certain about the front but I reckon it's an IS mount - you should check. If so then you should be easily able to update the front wheel to disc brake - but you'll likely have trouble getting an adaptor for the rear, unless you can find a vintage disc brake to fit. If not then you can always upgrade the front to cable/hydro discs and then leave the rear as a rim brake.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The front is an IS disk mount - most modern brakes are all postmount type so you will prob need to get an IS to PM adapter for the front one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That rear mount looks rather odd. I cant see how the caliper would ever line up with the rotor as it seems to be too far to the outside, maybe it's the camera angle. The braze on on my Specialized frame is on the inside. There may be a suitable adapter but you'll have to make sure before you go ahead. Disc brake standard have changed a lot since 2000 so picking the correct one up could be a problem.
Can't see any probs with the front.

This video might help you out;

View: https://youtu.be/lG1OnZdTlVk

Last edited:
Top Bottom