Trek Crossrip Elite Upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

repsgill

Hi guys,

Back in 2013 I bought myself Trek Crossrip Elite for a 100mile bike ride for charity and then stored it until a few weeks back. I'm now getting back into riding and would like to upgrade key components.

I was thinking of buying new wheelset. Would like advice on which wheelset to buy. Budget is around £500

JhnBssll

Veteran
It's a bit of an open question really. You'll get a good set of wheels for £500, but what sort of riding will you be doing? If I were looking at new wheels I'd be thinking about these things;

- Weight vs. Strength - Spoke count. Do I want lightweight wheels or robust wheels, or something in between?
- Frame clearance - how much space have you got between the stays of the frame and the fork legs? Recent trends are for wider rims and tyres and may not suit frames from even a few years ago. You're probably fine, but worth checking.
- Materials. Aluminium or Carbon? This is often closely linked to rim depth...
- What rim depth should I consider? deeper is generally stiffer and more aerodynamic but bad in crosswinds. Shallow rims are generally more compliant and hence smoother and easier to ride in poor conditions. As with everything there's a middle-ground to be found 😊
- Am I fussed about tubeless? I would be, and would rule out anything that's not marked as tubeless ready as a minimum.

If you can answer a few of those, or let us know what you want to gain from a new set of wheels, we can start recommending some options :okay: Nice looking bike by the way, I've not seen them before :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why do you think it needs new wheels?
If it were mine I’d upgrade the brakes, either to better mechanical ones or hydraulics.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Top Bottom