Trek's idea of a warranty.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

DLB, those clowns at the shop are LYING to you.

Get everything sorted at no cost to yourself and ask for an apology in front of the shop owner.

Oh, and don't go back there again.

OP
OP
D

DLB

a
And the story keeps getting better.....

An email from Trek's customer services manager....

Darren,

Thanks for the mail. I cannot recall seeing this claim. Do you have the relevant claim number? If not then ask the store and they can chase the reasons why we refused the claim.

Whenever we refuse a claim we will give the store the reasons why- to pass onto consumers

The components are covered for 12 months against manufacturing defects. If the components had failed for this reason, we would offer J E James a credit or a replacement part for the problem to be resolved.

Thanks

Best regards

Colin Knell

Technical Services Manager

Can i thank all of you who have posted help on this forum for me.

I have visited the shop today and spoken to the manager and showed him some of you emails. He's say's he is going to contact Trek and sort this out and he will phone me tomorrow.

Since he now know's i'm using a forum for help, and he sometimes frequents them, i would prefer to say nothing more at this stage. I will let you fine fellows know how the situation pans out though......

postman

Legendary Member
Are you in a union at work.Contact them.They should supply a solicitor free of charge who will send out a strong letter.Try it .My wife and i took on a well known furniture store and got a change of table with the help of the solicitor.At no cost.

OP
OP
D

DLB

postman said:
Are you in a union at work.Contact them.They should supply a solicitor free of charge who will send out a strong letter.Try it .My wife and i took on a well known furniture store and got a change of table with the help of the solicitor.At no cost.

now that's worth thinking about.

postman

Legendary Member
Update on tdf t- shirt.Yesterday afternoon i got a positive response from France.They have acknowledged my enquiry,maybe my tale might be coming to an end.Iwonder if my letter to the big boys has stirred up something.

postman

Legendary Member
Arrived this morning a tour de france t-shirt from A.S.O. the company of the tour .It is better than the one i bought in London.Time for a little piece of humble pie.They do care a really nice letter as well .A BIG WELL DONE.Tour De France.

OP
OP
D

DLB

postman said:
Arrived this morning a tour de france t-shirt from A.S.O. the company of the tour .It is better than the one i bought in London.Time for a little piece of humble pie.They do care a really nice letter as well .A BIG WELL DONE.Tour De France.

glad you got a nice outcome mate. i hope i manage to get the same.

OP
OP
D

DLB

yes he phoned me and has offerd me a £10 reduction in their store on my next purchase. Since the axle and repair (at a different shop) cost nearly £20 i'm going to tell him 'no'. He has also confirmed my thoughts that the wheel NEVER went back to Trek at all. Apparently the shop contacted Trek for a 'returns number' and Trek said over the phone 'don't bother sending it back as it won't be covered'. Would a company like Trek really say this????

i'll let you know more details when i've uncovered exactly what has happened between the LBS and Trek.

Top Cat

I had a huge problem with an internet retailer from Ipswich last month. Their attitude was frankly reprehensible. They did not reply to e-mails or telephone calls when a bike I bought was clearly faulty. It took me to threaten County Court action before I got my money back although I am still out of pocket to the tune of £5 as I bought an inner tube for the rear wheel until I realised that the wheel was the problem. It is clear there are a lot of rogues around and my recent experience means the beneficiary has been a LBS who have been brilliant I have to say. I am loving every minute of my new Giant CRS 3.0 and keep looking for opportunities to go out on it. However, I sympathise with anyone who has trouble with a supplier. It is important to stick to your guns. You know if something is wrong and part of the service they offer is to put problems right not make you feel like an irritation to be scratched. If there is a manufacturing fault it is for the retailer to take up not you. Your conatrct is with the supplier and even if they are not personally at fault that is tough. They have to fix it. I wonder whether it might be a good idea to set up two areas on this site 1. a name and shame section and 2. An advice column for those with a legal retail issue about the rpocedure to follow. One other thing anyone having difficulty should consider is their local trading standards office. They are set up to get the unscrupulous. If these retailers are not routed out they give everyone else a bad name.

TC

OP
OP
D

DLB

UPDATE

i have received this email from Trek today...

Darren,

After talking to my colleague and the store in question, it appears the wheel did not come back here. Let me apologise that I have mis-led you in anyway.

I believe my colleague asked the store mechanic for his opinion on the failure and the mechanic was unsure whether the failed axle occurred from a manufacturers defect. This is not rare- after all the warranty supplied with the Trek bike is offered by the place of purchase, so we value their judgement in claim scenarios. The outcome was that they decided that the expense of getting a wheel back and then re-delivered to Rotherham would not be worthwhile and a credit was placed on the shops account to cover the part (but no labour). This in effect approved the warranty claim lodges with JE James.

funny thing was, when i asked them at James' , they said the claim trek would NOT honour the claim...

I wonder why???

alfablue

Well that stinks - JE James may have got in a muddle, forgot that Trek approved the claim, or (just speculating) decided they could pull the wool over the customers eyes. Anyway you look at it, very bad "service".

Armed with the email from Trek under your arm, I reckon you are in a very good position to go into the shop and raise hell, and get suitable recompense.

Insist on a

*** F U L L - R E F U N D ! ***

Take your money and your business elsewhere. They clearly dont deserve it. Mention the Sale Of Goods Act, Trading standards and the local press.

OP
OP
D

DLB

So Trek gave the store a refund, but the store didn't pass it on??

yes! (or maybe!)

i've emailed the guy at Trek to ask him WHEN the warranty was authorised. Im not sure that JE James even asked them when it was first taken in.

either they asked when it was taken in, were told it was ok and told me it wasn't, OR

they didn't even bother contacting Trek, told me it wasn't covered, and then when i kicked up a stink asked trek who said yes.

i'm awaiting confirmation from Trek. i'll let you know wen i get it.

Top Bottom