tri/aero bars - adjustment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi,

I've recently bought some aero bars for my normal road bike for time trials.

However my bike is now very uncomfortable!

The main problems that I have are the saddle is now very uncomfortable (too much weight on the front) and I feel too far back in the saddle.

I've tried putting the saddle forward which did help a little and I've tilted the nose of the saddle down - which didn't really help much!

I noticed that other time trialists (the serious ones) seem to manage happily on their TT bikes with their saddles in normal positions even though they are mega low at the front end.

What's the story?

wafflycat

They have nether regions of steel, whereas you don't? :rolleyes:

TT saddles are wider at the nose and also more padded, as when I at least do TT's I sit right on the nose, moving me forward and further over the bottom bracket.

As for waffly's comment of made of steel, sorry thats not me, more like jelly at the moment ;) but there again I've only done a few tt's.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Raise your bars a tad, whilst less 'low', you're never gonna ride well bent-double and uncomfortable. Flip your stem and start from there. You can always lower them again when you're more accustomed to the position.
Also TT and Tri-bikes tend to have the seat further foreward so you're more over the BB.

kyuss

Veteran
TT bikes genreally have really steep seat tube angles allowing them to get over the BB and still have their saddle at a comfortable angle/position. It helps shorten the reach too which is useful in getting a lower postion.

What you could do to replicate the same position is fit your seat post back to front, assuming it has some setback on it, which will put you further over the BB and allow you to get the saddle in a more comfortable position. Cervelo supply a reversible aero seatpost on their multisport TT/tri bikes for this reason. Essentially allows the bike to be used as if it has two different seat tube angles, one for balls out TT'ing and one for more laid back comfort over longer triathlon stages.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks for the advice. I had noticed that some of the saddles looked pretty wide at the front. I have a Fizik saddle which (althogh comfortable)is very narrow at the front - ouch!

My seatpost is an in-line type so no chance of changing it around. I'll try putting the seat forward even more (which will look silly but if it's comfortable then who cares) and I could even try a different saddle - perhaps look for a cheap secondhand one on eBay. As for the bars, I need to widen the arm rests, change the angle slightly and probably just get used to them. Doing a TT the day after you fit them without trying them first was probably not a very good idea ;).

wafflycat

HeartAttack said:
TT saddles are wider at the nose and also more padded, as when I at least do TT's I sit right on the nose, moving me forward and further over the bottom bracket.

As for waffly's comment of made of steel, sorry thats not me, more like jelly at the moment :sad: but there again I've only done a few tt's.

Next time I'm buying choccie in Norwich, I'll have to check ;):biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You can buy triathalon / TT specific saddles that have a long padded nose. I use one on my TT bike, makes a lot of difference.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Yes, since earlier postings I've been looking at the Specialized tri tip saddle - looks like just the job with it's padded long nose. Any other specific similar saddle recommendations for TTs?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've got one like this, probably not this one exactly but similar shape, same make.

19942_104048.jpg

Top Bottom