Triathlon training for an idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
There are no tricks really in actually completing an endurance event... you have time to train for that , competing in an endurance event however...
personally I'd rather eat razorblades than mixing it with a load of management accountants.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
There are no tricks really in actually completing an endurance event... you have time to train for that , competing in an endurance event however...
personally I'd rather eat razorblades than mixing it with a load of management accountants.

I am Spartacus

Über Member

montage

God Almighty
In the lead up to my first triathlon, I cycled 6 times a week, ran 3-4 times a week, and only swam once a week.

Most time is spent on the bike, so it makes sense to spend the most hours training there. Doing each discipline twice a week should do the job :rofl:

montage

God Almighty
In the lead up to my first triathlon, I cycled 6 times a week, ran 3-4 times a week, and only swam once a week.

Most time is spent on the bike, so it makes sense to spend the most hours training there. Doing each discipline twice a week should do the job :blush:

jann71

Veteran
I was looking at this site last night for some training ideas, particularly as I'm rubbish at running although I'm a reasonable swimmer and cyclist. Seen a novice event in May I'm going to have a bash at training for - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1918 and http://www.220triathlon.com/

jimheaney57

montage said:
Most time is spent on the bike, so it makes sense to spend the most hours training there. Doing each discipline twice a week should do the job ;)

Not sure if I agree with that. I would suggest spending most time on whatever discipline is the weakest.

I've looked at a lot of training plans and yes they are complicated. I suspect you will be like me in that you are doing this for fun and the sense of achievement. Therefore I wouldn't get stressed about plans. I'd suggest you run, cycle or swim depending on what you feel at the time and the weather conditions.

Work on getting your body used to going from cycling to running is most important though. I do a lot of work on this in the gym. Start on the bike and go as hard as you can until your legs are burning. Get off the bike and go straight unto the treadmill for a couple of minutes. Keep repeating until it feels natural when you start running.

Also worth spending some time before your event practicing transition and making sure you have a system worked out for all your kit.

I'm fairly new to triathlon but I would highly recommend them. Great fun.

jimheaney57

montage said:
Most time is spent on the bike, so it makes sense to spend the most hours training there. Doing each discipline twice a week should do the job :smile:

Not sure if I agree with that. I would suggest spending most time on whatever discipline is the weakest.

I've looked at a lot of training plans and yes they are complicated. I suspect you will be like me in that you are doing this for fun and the sense of achievement. Therefore I wouldn't get stressed about plans. I'd suggest you run, cycle or swim depending on what you feel at the time and the weather conditions.

Work on getting your body used to going from cycling to running is most important though. I do a lot of work on this in the gym. Start on the bike and go as hard as you can until your legs are burning. Get off the bike and go straight unto the treadmill for a couple of minutes. Keep repeating until it feels natural when you start running.

Also worth spending some time before your event practicing transition and making sure you have a system worked out for all your kit.

I'm fairly new to triathlon but I would highly recommend them. Great fun.

Garz

Squat Member
jimheaney57 said:

I disagree. You don't want to neglect any discipline's just because you may be weak in one. Maybe try to improve your form or prioritise it to be first in the week so you have the most energy to expend on it.

Splitting the training up on them fair enough depending on your time allowance, but say spending 80% on your time swimming just because it's your weakest for me doesn't equate to success overall. :smile:

Garz

Squat Member
jimheaney57 said:

I disagree. You don't want to neglect any discipline's just because you may be weak in one. Maybe try to improve your form or prioritise it to be first in the week so you have the most energy to expend on it.

Splitting the training up on them fair enough depending on your time allowance, but say spending 80% on your time swimming just because it's your weakest for me doesn't equate to success overall. :blush:

jimheaney57

I wasn't suggesting neglecting any discipline or spending 80% on one.

My point is that anyones weakest discipline is likely to be the one least enjoyed and there would be a tendency to neglect this one which would be a mistake.

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

jann71 said:
I was looking at this site last night for some training ideas, particularly as I'm rubbish at running although I'm a reasonable swimmer and cyclist. Seen a novice event in May I'm going to have a bash at training for - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1918 and http://www.220triathlon.com/

I looked at these but the training times seemed very short. I could go much longer. Would rather do training distances, at the end of the day I can't run for 10 minutes and say I've finished. I am slow.

Running is my weakest thing and it's the only thing I've been doing for the last 3 months!! The swimming is easy. I swam for the first time in a year yesterday and swam 84 lengths, the race is 16! The bike ride is hilly but easy location for me to practice.

Top Bottom