Triathlon training for an idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karen.488walker

Is this one of those repeated threads that annoys everyone? if so apologies.
Have just swum for the 1st time in a year.
New bike comes tomorrow (haven't cycled since summer)
Have been running regularly for a bit, but am crap.
Have signed up for a sprint triathlon in May.
Bought the triathlete's bibles which may aswell be written in mandarin.
Where do I buy download a decent training program???

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

heliphil

Guru
I find that I have to try and fit in training with work and family and as such other peoples training programs don't really work for me. I would recommend getting out as much as poss in each discipline ( build up gradually), work on what you not good at ( all??) but most importantly keep it fun....

heliphil

Guru
I find that I have to try and fit in training with work and family and as such other peoples training programs don't really work for me. I would recommend getting out as much as poss in each discipline ( build up gradually), work on what you not good at ( all??) but most importantly keep it fun....

heliphil

Guru

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

So if I do each discipline 2 x week to the best of my ability will that be OK?

RedBike

I fancied a tri later this year too and started to read a few books on it. As you pointed out it is very confusing.

I think for beginners (like me) it's basically a case of practicing each disipline. Simply put the more time you spend swimming, running, cycling the better you'll do. Start off easy and build the time / intensity up.

Once you've got used to cycling it's worth trying to run straight after being out on the bike ( A brick session). I've no idea why but cycling seems to cause your legs to go like jelly. The first few miles run after cycling are extremely hard work.

RedBike

I fancied a tri later this year too and started to read a few books on it. As you pointed out it is very confusing.

I think for beginners (like me) it's basically a case of practicing each disipline. Simply put the more time you spend swimming, running, cycling the better you'll do. Start off easy and build the time / intensity up.

Once you've got used to cycling it's worth trying to run straight after being out on the bike ( A brick session). I've no idea why but cycling seems to cause your legs to go like jelly. The first few miles run after cycling are extremely hard work.

RedBike

Top Bottom