Triban 3 question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

I instantly changed the flat pedals on my Triban 500 for SPD-SL pedals. The Triban 500 has standard pedal axles I can't see your Triban @Suddabym being any different.

Attachments

• 60CE481C-8B75-4B5E-8B26-9F0BBF9C2154.jpeg
    60CE481C-8B75-4B5E-8B26-9F0BBF9C2154.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

View attachment 448799

As @Cycleops says the pedals you have are for cleated cycling shoes, definitely not meant for regular flat soles.
The red rubber hoods on the brake levers look to be missing?
not sure what they are or what they do tbh but looking at other tribans they do seem to be missing are they important ?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
not sure what they are or what they do tbh but looking at other tribans they do seem to be missing are they important ?
The rubber hoods are definitely missing, I usually ride holding the hoods, being rubber it ads to comfort. I’m not familiar with MicroShift shifters but water ingress may be an issue?
You can buy replacement hoods but I’m not sure of availability with this brand. If you ever need to replace the bar tape then I suppose you could try wrapping the shifters too?

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

The rubber hoods are definitely missing, I usually ride holding the hoods, being rubber it ads to comfort. I’m not familiar with MicroShift shifters but water ingress may be an issue?
You can buy replacement hoods but I’m not sure of availability with this brand. If you ever need to replace the bar tape then I suppose you could try wrapping the shifters too?
Cheers thank you for that I plan on re taping pretty soon anyway

Last edited:
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Yip those are standard pedal axles. The previous owner has swapped them like me for clipless ( I think they are look pedals). Without the road shoes and cleats those will be very awkward to use :okay:
Do I need certain shoes and cleats to go with that pedal or can I buy any ?

You'd need to buy the right type of cleat and shoes with the right number of bolts for said cleats. Some cleats need three bolts to fasten onto the shoes, others need two. Having said that, there are some shoes on the market that will take both types.

If you're new to cycling, I'd suggest this: buy some flat pedals to fit on the bike until you build up some confidence. Keep the pedals the bike came with. Then, if you feel like trying clipless, just get shoes and cleats. If you don't fancy it, sell the pedals.

Note: some shoe / cleat combinations are not great to walk in.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

You'd need to buy the right type of cleat and shoes with the right number of bolts for said cleats. Some cleats need three bolts to fasten onto the shoes, others need two. Having said that, there are some shoes on the market that will take both types.

If you're new to cycling, I'd suggest this: buy some flat pedals to fit on the bike until you build up some confidence. Keep the pedals the bike came with. Then, if you feel like trying clipless, just get shoes and cleats. If you don't fancy it, sell the pedals.

Note: some shoe / cleat combinations are not great to walk in.
I think I will do that thank you I’m gonna order some flat ones to start with. I’ve read that when buying a shoe that it’s best to get one where it is recessed underneath so easy to walk on :-)
Sorry but one last question are all pedals the same size I mean the part you screw in not the actual pedal itself :-)

I think I will do that thank you I’m gonna order some flat ones to start with. I’ve read that when buying a shoe that it’s best to get one where it is recessed underneath so easy to walk on :-)
Sorry but one last question are all pedals the same size I mean the part you screw in not the actual pedal itself :-)

Yep, the screw thread on the pedals are a standard size. Just remember to fit the left pedal to the left crank etc. Pedals will usually come with L and R stamped on them (I know the Decathlon ones do) but if not, just be careful.

Shoes with recessed cleats are usually the two-bolt SPD type i.e. mountain bike or touring shoes. These are not compatible with the pedals that are currently fitted to your bike.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Yep, the screw thread on the pedals are a standard size. Just remember to fit the left pedal to the left crank etc. Pedals will usually come with L and R stamped on them (I know the Decathlon ones do) but if not, just be careful.

Shoes with recessed cleats are usually the two-bolt SPD type i.e. mountain bike or touring shoes. These are not compatible with the pedals that are currently fitted to your bike.
really appreciate the help thank you very much

Top Bottom